44-40 rolling block rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Boomer69, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Boomer69

Boomer69 New Member

I have a small rolling block 44-40 rifle with absolutely no markings... except the caliber, which is spaced far apart thus: 4 4 4 0 W C F... on the right side of the barrel in front of the breech.
    I haven't been able to date it...or find out the manufacturer. It looks similar to a Rem. "light Baby" Carbine, but has some differences... And it has had more modern sights put on it.
    Nice looking gun, and shoots good... so not all is bad about it....smile
    Anyone ever see one of these critters?

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A rolling block of unknown origin and caliber, rebarrelled for the .44-40 by an unknown person at some unknown time, but probably in the mid-20th century, when there was a flood of milsurp rolling blocks and many and varied conversions of them.

I am not trying to be funny, that is really the best I can do and I suspect it may be the best anyone can do.

Jim
  3. BillM

BillM Active Member

4. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

It is not a Navy arms action since it does not have a brass trigger guard. It is a smokeless powder military action.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There was a time when those RBs were selling for under $5 apiece in so-so condition. Interarms got tons of them from Spain and North Africa so cheap that they used the worst ones instead of rebars in the parking lot as they were cheaper than rebars.

Jim
  6. redleg6971

redleg6971 New Member

Nice looking rolling block from what I can see. My guess is it is a military model made under contract from a Remington patent. Remington started production 0n these in 1867 and supplied military arms to half the countries in the world. The absence of a Remington logo suggests it was made out of country. What caught my eye was the shield shape checkering on the block spur. I have a model 1 1/2 in 32 rimfire that has the same pattern. The best I can tell mine was made between 1888 and 1897. For more info google rolling block parts and you will find a website that deals only with Remington rolling block parts. The owner has a series of photos that show details of the actions on these. You can determine which model it is by comparing screw placement, pin keepers and extractors. Most military calibers were either 43 Egyptian or 43 Spanish, so I would say the 44/40 was a custom rebore job. Also try the forum at the Remington Society on the web.