44 auto mag rifle

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Shopnut, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Shopnut

Shopnut Former Guest

I have wanted a 44 magnum rifle for a while, but the discontinued Rugers and Remingtons are all rather pricey. I have an old Yugo Mauser that I took the barrel off of. I was thinking of getting a 44 mag barrel made for it by Pac-Nor or some other company. They say they can make a barrel nut so it can be easily attached and headspaced with just a head space gage instead of a reamer

The ony problem is the bolt. I think I lack the expertise to modify the bolt to hold the rimmed 44 magnum cartridge. I was thinking of forming 44 mag brass from 308, something like the 44 auto mag cartridges used by the pistols made years ago. Anyone ever made the auto mag cartridge? It is just a cut down reamed straight wall case made from the 30-06 or 308? Thanks.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

JLA? You take this one.
    He has formed just about everything from everything. Quite frankly by the time you buy the barrel and do the conversion and pay someone to do it, you'll be really close to the cost of one of the rugers or Rem.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1

44AM is formed from 30-06. I've done a few and think it's more worthwhile if you can find the brass. If not, then start cutting, it's not hard, just time consuming.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've seen the old ruger carbines for give or take 450
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Big Shrek, that's the way I went. Mounted an Aim Point on it, and love the gun. It goes well with my Ruger pistol.
  7. Shopnut

Shopnut Former Guest

Thanks guys, interesting options there.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The new American Rifleman has some of the new Rossi rifles. I think that little sawed off Wanted Dead or Alive rifle/pistol/carbine thing called the Ranch Hand is in .44 mag or .45 Colt. I personally like that and want one in .45 Colt.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've had a marlin in 357 and it is an excellent gun. very well built .i cant imagine the abuse it would take to break it
  10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Bulldozer...probably ;)

All Marlin's are kinda that way...tough as heck.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010