44 black powder pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by taeast, Aug 12, 2012.

1. taeast

taeast New Member

I am sure you all get quite a few of these but I purchased a gun at an auction yesterday and have never owned a Black Powder before. I was wondering if I could get a value of the gun, and some history. I will give you everything I find on the gun. It has a wooden handle, gold trigger, and the rest of the gun looks Chrome. Its got a 12 inch barrel. Under the handle there are some numbers 248871 with xxx below it. Right before the barrel there is (in order)a square with a BI in it and next to that is a PN with a symbol above that and next to that small symbol with a square under that with another symbol in it. On the barrel itself it has (in order)small symbol with a square under that with another symbol in it and next to that is the small symbol with a Pn under it. Then there is a diamond triangle with FAP in it. Then it says F.LLIPIETTA-MADE IN ITALY. Pics are available if needed. Thanks for your help!
  2. taeast

taeast New Member

And there is an XXX on the Gold piece right by the trigger.
  3. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Can you post the pictures on here, it would make it easier to come up with the value.
  4. taeast

taeast New Member

5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

That's Pietta's buffalo hunter, a non historical fantasy piece. BI was made in 97. I believe it's stainless instead of chrome. If it is stainless it sells for 479.00 new at Cabela's.
  6. taeast

taeast New Member

Is 300 a fair price?
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

8. taeast

taeast New Member

Thank you, any places I can find a Holster for it? I have looked everywhere.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If it is indeed stainless and in good working order it is. If it's nickel plated the frame is probably brass and it isn't. Cabela's doesn't show it in nickel but that doesn't mean it wasn't available in nickel in 97. It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks stainless to me.
  10. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

11. skullfr

skullfr New Member

12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

13. taeast

taeast New Member

Thanks everyone, I spotted this thing at an auction and I was lucky to get the final bid of 300. It is stainless steel and it looks like a blast to have some fun with and hand down to my son someday. And your right Hawg, I couldn't find a 12 inch Holster on that website. I will keep looking. Thanks again.