.44 Cal "American Bulldog"

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Twaits, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Twaits

Twaits Member

I have a .44 "American Bulldog" in .44 Caliber. The only markings are "American Bulldog" on the top strap and the serial number 1187 under the left grip. The grips have the face of a dog where the screw goes through. I'm pretty sure it has been renickeled at some point in its life as I can see pitting under the plating of the face of the cylinder. Also all of the pins look a little strange and the trigger pin contantly walks. I'm not sure if the cylinder pin latch or cylinder pin is original to the gun. The latch will not hold the pin with any kind of security and doesn't look like I think it should.
    Anyhow, it's an interesting old gun.
    Were these made by Iver Johnson or Harrington and Richardson? I believe it was one of those two.

[​IMG]
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

AMERICAN BULL DOG, manufactured by iver johnson
    AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION, manufactured by H&R Arms Co.
    H&R also made a H&R BULLDOG that was chambered for rimfire cartridges, it was just a variant of the american double action.

the revolver in question is an american bull dog second model, there were several serial number series so dating can only be done to the era of manufacture. the 44 webley caliber was a standard catalog offering but were limited in production as the frame was larger than the 38 caliber version in my book is use the term extra large frame.

AMERICAN BULL DOG FIRST MODEL------------------------------1882-1884
    AKA: LION DOUBLE ACTION; OLD HICKORY DOUBLE ACTION
    Sold under the Brand names Lion, Old Hickory, Navy Favorite and Ajax Army also. Offered in four frame sizes and six calibers. Saw handle shaped grip frame and Eagle design on the hard rubber grip panels. All are Nickel finished. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire, medium frame .32 rimfire & centerfire, large frame .38 rimfire & centerfire, extra large frame .44 Webley & .44 Bulldog; Barrel length and shape: small, medium & large frame 2 ½ inches round, extra large frame 2 7/16 inches octagon, 6 inch barrel length in extra large frame part octagon & part round; Weight: small frame 9 5/8 ounces, medium frame 11 ½ ounces. large frame 19 5/8 ounces. ex. Large frame 19 7/8 ounces; Cylinder capacity: small frame 7, medium, large & extra large frame 5; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, medium frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 4 5/16 inches, extra large frame 4 7/8 inches: Frame length: small frame 4 1/8 inches, medium frame 4 ½ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches, ex. Large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: small frame 5 5/8 inches, medium frame 6 1/8 inches, large frame 6 ¾ inches, extra large frame 6 ¾ inches; Extra large frame with 6 inch barrel: weight 19 7/8 ounces, overall length 10 13/16 inches. MODEL NAME MARKED ON TOP STRAP
    VALUE: Medium & large frame 32 & 38 calibers-100%=$400 60%=$175
    Small frame 22 rimfire caliber Extra large frame 44 caliber 25 % premium over Medium and large frame models

AMERICAN BULL DOG SECOND MODEL-----------------------1885-1899
    AKA; NAVY FAVORITE DOUBLE ACTION; AJAX ARMY DOUBLE ACTION
    Sold under the same Brand names as the First model, square butt with more rounded grip frame, hard rubber grip panels with dogs head design. Four frame sizes. Caliber: small frame .22 rimfire, medium frame .32 rimfire & centerfire, large frame .38 rimfire & centerfire, ex. Large frame .44 Webley & .44 Bulldog; Barrel length and shape: small frame 2 ¼ inches octagon, medium 2 ½ inches octagon, large & extra large frame 2 7/16 inches octagon; Weight: small frame 9 5/8 ounces, medium frame 11 ½ inches, large frame 16 3/8 ounces, extra large frame 19 5/8 ounces, Cylinder capacity: small frame 7, medium, large and extra large frame 5; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, medium frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 4 1/16 inches, extra large 4 3/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 1/8 inches, medium 4 ½, large & extra large frames 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: small frame 5 5/8 inches, medium frame 6 1/8 inches, large & extra large frames 6 ¾ inches; Longer barrel lengths available on medium, large and extra large frames. Frame sizes for the second model are the same as the first model. MODEL NAME WILL BE MARKED ON TOP OF BARREL
    VALUE: Medium & large frame 32 & 38 calibers-100%=$350 60%=$135
    Small frame 22 rimfire caliber Extra large frame 44 caliber 25 % premium over Medium and large frame models

bill
  3. Twaits

Twaits Member

Thanks for the info Bill. I paid $130 for this one a couple years back I think.
    I know it probably doesn't have much value being refinished with some suspect parts.
  4. J R French

J R French New Member

Heres what the H&R models look like. Top is the "American Double Action" bottom is "Safety Hammer Double Action". Both are caliber .44 Bulldog/Webley and both have the pre 1898 nickled trigger guards. I apologize if the large images causes problems but I think detail is important for identifying small traits. Let me know if this is not agreeable.
    [​IMG]