44 cal Black Powder Conversion Cartridge

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by taeast, Aug 24, 2012.

1. taeast

taeast New Member

I just purchased a 45 mag Conversion cartridge for my 44 cal black Powder, 1858 New Army Buffalo Hunter pistol(12 inch Barrel). I am told that certain bullets are NOT good for my type of gun. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You didn't purchase a 45 magnum, 'cause there ain't no such thing. I presume you have a 45 colt conversion.

Certain types of bullets? Well, your barrel is made for .454 bullets, and most, if not all, factory 45 Colt is loaded with .452 bullets. That might be what they were talking about.

Or they might have meant certain CARTRIDGES, instead of certain bullets. Lots of folks seem to get those two terms confused.

You got, basically, three types of 45 Colt ammo. You got the regular 45 Colt. You got the "cowboy loads", which are wimpy. The equivalent of 38 Special target wadcutters. Their purpose is for shooting cowboy, and all they need is to make it to the target and go "clang". They don't need to be very powerful. Then you got the "Ruger Only" loads. This is an attempt to turn the 45 Colt into a 44 Magnum, and they are, pretty much, only safe in Rugers, Hammerli Virginians and T/C Contenders.

If you put Ruger loads in your gun it will come apart.

Since your gun's frame was designed for black powder pressures, even though your new cylinder is okay for smokeless, I don't think I'd even want to shoot the regular 45 Colts in it. I believe I'd stay with the "cowboy loads".
  3. taeast

taeast New Member

Makes sense, and yes it is a 45 Long Colt conversion kit. Cowboy load seems kind of wimpy..
  4. taeast

taeast New Member

So can I ask a real silly question? Well another one anyway, can I shoot .410 gauge shells?
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No. Shortest 410 is 2 1/2". Length of a 45 Colt is about 1 1/2". 410 won't fit the cylinder.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They're not really that wimpy.

Regular 45s are 250 or 255 grain bullet at 850 fps, or thereabouts.

Most "cowboy loads" are either s 200 or 225 grain bullet at around 700 fps (there's a 600 fps minimum in cowboy, to make sure bullets hit the target hard enough to shatter. Slower bullets bounce back. Owie). Since a regular 38 special is 158 grains at about 850 fps, the "cowboy" 45s are stronger than normal 38s. Not wimpy enough that I'd let you shoot me with one. Just wimpier that "regular" loads.
  7. taeast

taeast New Member

Now if I could just find a Holster for it, Id be set. Thanks for your help.
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the "Buffalo Hunter" but I hope it has a steel instead of brass frame. You start shooting regular .45 Colt rounds in a brass frame and you will have a "loose" gun in short order........
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They make 'em both ways, brass frame and steel frame. It's a Remington New Army copy, with a ten inch barrel and an adjustable rear sight.

This feller's been on before, looking for a holster, and I THINK he said his is steel. If the memory is working this morning.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I would think locked up tighter than a drum instead of loose.
  11. ignats

ignats Member

I think what you have is one of these?

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3958

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lp5sBtRWGM

If it is, it's a black powder muzzle loader that has some type of cartridge conversion cylinder. You should black powder loaded cartridges and pure lead bullets. You can also use BP substitutes such as Pyrodex as a propellant. Use pure lead bullets not hard cast type. The revolver shown in the video is in it's original configuration. Generally, the various conversion kits are drop in but not always. Never use modern ammo (smokeless powder cartridges) the pressure it too great. I think there are some companies that make Cowboy Action loads for these set ups. I have several, a Remington 1858 converted to accept Schofield 45 cartridges and Colt Navy .36 converted to 38 special. I used .38 special cartridges with either hollow base wadcutters or hollow base conical bullets. The HB is necessary due to the Navy 36 and other .36's actually measuring .375 (I think) and regular bullets would just rattle down the barrel and accuracy would be awful.

Here are some good BP loads:

Caliber Amount of Powder Bullet Weight
    45 S&W (Schofield) 27 gr. FFg 220 gr.
    44 WCF (44-40) 35 gr. FFg 240 gr.
    44 Special 30 gr. FFg 200 gr
    44 Russian 20 gr FFFg 250 gr.
    38 WCF (38-40) 32 gr. FFg 180 gr.
    38 Long Colt 17 gr. FFFg 158 gr.
    38 Spl 19 gr. FFFg 158 gr.
    357 Magnum 21 gr. FFFg 158 gr.
    32 WCF (32-30) 20 gr. FFFg 100 gr.
  12. taeast

taeast New Member

Great info! Thank you! ANd yes the gun in the video is mine, only difference is mine is stainless. Thanks again.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cowboy loads are just about all its gonna be safe to shoot with. The 1858 rem is a strong BP revolver, stronger than the open tops for sure. but any colt load much over 14K PSI will shrapnel that thing
  14. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I dunno bout shrapnel but much over bp pressures will warp it. The conversion cylinders are tool steel, the frames are soft.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah perhaps shrapnel was a bit of an exaggerated word. But itll ruin the frame nonetheless.