.44 Hawes Firearms Black Powder Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by OnceDown, Oct 6, 2008.

1. OnceDown

OnceDown New Member

I received a black powder revolver from a family member.

"Hawes Firearms Co = Los Angeles - California" is on the left side of the barrel.

"44 Caliber Army Model" (below that is) "Made In Italy" is on the right side of the barrel.

Unknown how old, it does fire and seems to be in "good" shape. Any ideas on the value?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. OnceDown

OnceDown New Member

-bump-

I'm not surprised to not see any replies on this thread. I'm having a hard time finding any info online for this revolver. It's not even listed The Illustrated Directory of Guns perhaps its a order it/build it gun?
  3. KSIguns

KSIguns New Member

About 2 yrs ago, I traded for one. Value of the trade ~$75-100.

The gun is workable. Nothing special. I would consider it a "utility" black powder gun. Good for shooting. Not a "collector" piece.

Mine has a broken loading lever that is made of unobtanium, so I have to weld it up or make a new one. No parts available form Dixie or VTI. Any other parts sources welcome.

Hope that helps
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Member

I still have a Hawes 1860 Army except that mine has a steel frame. Good revolver. The brass frames aren't as desireable and I agree with KSI. Use it....until it shoots loose.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

With that brass frame I'd keep charges at 18-20 grains of powder or it won't last long. It should have either a set of Roman numerals or two letters in a box on the right side of the frame along with two Gardonne proof marks. It should also have a manufacturers stamp on it somewhere but may be hidden under the loading lever. It could have been made by anybody except with the brass frame Uberti is unlikely. Its probably an ASM which was one of the cheaper made guns. Value is around 75.00-100.00. This may help you identify it if it was made by one of the better known makers. http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf
  6. RJay

RJay Active Member

Well, the OP posted 5 years ago in reference to his gun, I hope by now he has figured out how it works. :D
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Aww Geez!:eek::D