44 hunting load ??

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by thekidd, Nov 24, 2004.

1. thekidd

thekidd New Member

I bought a NEF 44 cal rifle for my wife to hunt deer with, but I am getting conflicting stories on weight and type of bullet to use. Can someone help me ?.......... I know this gun probably isnt on anyones "ideal" list, but it fits her perfect and she is a really good shot. Speaking of shooting, 50-60 yards would be a long in the woods she hunts in.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, thekidd!! Someone should be along soon who can help you out. In the meantime, check out all the forums and make yourself at home! We have a great group of folks here. :)
  3. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

howdy Kidd

The most important issue here is shot placement. A 44 mag will knock down a whitetail without any problems using factory ammo at the range you specified.

I would not use hollow point ammo, unless specificall designed for hunting. Such as Remington's Core-Lok 275 grain cartridge that is stil moving about 1150 FPS at 50 yards.

Winchester makes a really nice 250 grain Partition Gold cartridge that should perform very well out of your rifle. They also make a 240 grain soft point that works well.

Good Luck and let us know what you end up going with and how your wife does.

BTW: I hunted whitetail deer with a .357 mag Ruger Blackhawk for around 20 years and have had several one shot harvests out to 75 yards, and never shot a deer I did not harvest.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  4. thekidd

thekidd New Member

Thanks for the help but I havent seen any of the ammo you mentioned in my local stores. One gun store owner told me that 240 grain hydrashocks would be perfect. I had my doubts so I didnt buy them.
  5. Mike37

Mike37 New Member

Wal-Mart has Winchester White Box, 240gr JSP for $19.99 a box. Good Luck.
  6. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Do not use hydrashocks, at least you made that choice and got it right.
    Great start! AND WELCOME!!

LTS
  7. Goldslammer

Goldslammer New Member

I use the Winchester 240gr. JSP in my Ruger 44 Carbine. Good load for deer.
  8. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

What about....

240 Grain Hornady HP/XTP loaded hot and shot out of a Marlin 1894 carbine?

I have several boxes of these that I think I will be taking on my trip to Georgia. JUJU seems to think that .44 mag isn't gonna cut it.
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

.44 is alright if you are shooting at similar ranges as one would normally use a .30-30. It does not have any greater advantege on longer shots.

If the hunt is going to be where longer than 75-100 yards are required, you would be better off with a .270 or .30-06.
  10. juju

juju New Member

Henry, what I said was that the .44 will limit ther places you will be able to hunt. You wont be able to hunt the fields or some of the food plots, these places have ranges possible out to 600yds, gonna be awful frustrating to be sitting at a stand on the big field and have a big buck come out at 200 to 300 yds and you are holding a .44.

Also, I said that the .44 while an adequate deer load is more likely to let a deer run a spell before dying than my 45/70. If you hunt the swamp and dont anchor the deer in place we will never find it.

Bring what you are comfortable with but be prepared to be limited in the places you can hunt on the lease.

I have made both a .300 winmag and a 45/70 available to you if you would like to use them, by all means bring your .44 if you like and then you can decide what to hunt with.

Looking forward to meeting you.

JuJu(just a couple of more weeks)
  11. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

I agree with Henry, that is exactly what I use, and I think JUJU will be suprised with the performance of the 44. It is never to late to teach an old dog some new tricks!

Now he did mention fields and some long range shots, for that I would be using the Sako .308, or Poppys ole .270!!
  12. thekidd

thekidd New Member

I bought the 240 grain Hornady hp xtp. The wife hasnt been hunting yet but I just had to try it out. I shot a small six point buck at about 65 yards. Dropped him where he stood, no tracking just like I like it. I appreciate all of the replies. this is my first time joining a forum and it is alot more helpful than I imagined. Again thanks.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Don't know what kinda .45-70 juju offered, but you can eat right up to the bullet hole, with hard-cast bullets, and it'l shoot plumb thru a 300 pound hog, at any angle, with mild loads, heavy bullets.
    If it is a Sharps, or Win Single Shot, and you pass on the opportunity, you will hate yourself forever; if a 1895 Marlin, the same!
    Of course, you could pack the .44, and make the decision, later....