.44 mag and 30 Carbine reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by MarkC, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MarkC

MarkC New Member

I've been hand loading a couple different rifle calibers for just a couple of years and really enjoy it. I recently loaded some .44 and 30 Carbine rounds using H-110. H-110 seems to be very dirty compared to the powders I've used in rifle rounds. Is that typical?? Are powders suited for these calibers usually dirty or is it just the H-110?? The brass is totally coated with residue and my .44 is filthy.

Teach me something!
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  2. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Now you mention it... 2400 is similar to H110 and I noticed last week it dirtied my hands pretty good in a revolver work-out.

Now they are about the slowest powders that are used in these calibers. My loads with them are about twice the weight that I use with say, Blue Dot or Unique or 700X, four times for Bullseye. Maybe twice the powder is double the dirt?

Like the results with H110 and 2400 though. For me, they're the only way to go with heavy loads---Mike
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

By "dirty"' I'm guessing that you mean unburnt powder in the barrel or cylinder. If that is the case, then your problem is not enough crimp in both the .44 Mag and the .30 Carbine. I have a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine and I use 2400 in it exclusively. I use a taper crimp on it since it head spaces on the case mouth. You need to use a good roll crimp if shooting lead or jacketed in the .44. Try it and you'll see the "dirty" go away!

I have never had a problem with 2400, 296 or 110 in ANY reload.

IPT
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

im with IPT, i use W296 with all my magnum sixgun loads, and as IPT mentioned you have to use extremely heavy crimps to recognize uniform ballistics with this powder,
    H110 is actually hodgdons copy of W296, and must also be used with heavy crimps. Keep in mind that some 'smut' is normal, especially on straight walled cases, and even more evident on low pressure loadings. but unburnt powder can almost always be cured with a heavy crimp.
  5. MarkC

MarkC New Member

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.