44 mag cases

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by old semperfi, Feb 15, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    I HAVE RELOADED SOME OF MY 44 MAG CASES MAYBE 15-20 TIMES AND AM WONDERING HOW LONG THESE CASES LAST,I HAVE RELOADED THOUSANDS OF 44 MAG ROUNDS AND MAY HAVE CULLED 5-10..... RE OTHER BRASS 38 AND 357 I HAVE FOUND SPLIT CASES AND OTHER PROBLEMS,BUT IT SEEMS THE 44 MAG CASES LAST LONGER.......MOST OF MY RELOADS ARE USING 300 GRAIN SWC OR FPS WITH 20 GRAINS OF 2400.......ANY THOUGHTS OLD SEMPERFI
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use the same charge of 2400 under a 240 gr gascheck and I have a lot of .44 cases that heve seen 20 or 30 cycles and still look good. i believe the key to long brass life is proper fit and mild reloads...
  3. mikld

mikld Member

A couple years ago all my .44 Mag brass got mixed tohether. Some is 25+ yrs old and I have no idea how many times it's been reloaded. I just inspect each one after cleaning and check primer pockets. I haven't found any bad ones yet.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I also have a box of .44 mag brass i inherited from a late friend of mine after his passing. I suspect he probably loaded them excessively and im still loading them today.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just keep re-loading until I see a split and then throw it away.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have actually shot cases that split at the mouth when i loaded them. I just marked them with a sharpie and used them for plinker rounds. and tossed them in the scrap box when I got back home...
  7. TheGunClinger

Wow! I didnt know you could do that. When I get home from the range and find a .44 case or a .50AE casing split I panic! I mark them with a Sharpie and put them on my split casing shelve.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its prolly not a good practice for newbies to attempt, but since I dont load hot I shoot them. They dont quite shoot as consistently as good ammo but they will shoot and are suitable for shootn turtles or beer cans;) I just mark the cases so i wont chunk them in the bag with my good brass...
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    GUNCLINGER,YOU SHOULD ONLY FIRE THEM IN A STRONG REVOLVER NOT A SEMI AUTO OLD SEMPERFI
  10. TheGunClinger

My .44's are two Super Blackhawks and a Redhawk. They are pretty strong.
  11. madmantrapper

madmantrapper New Member

The brass don't add any strength.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just to clear something up, I dont reload split cases. I toss em. What i meant was, if a case happens to split at the mouth while seating a bullet or crimping, ill go ahead and shoot it.

I just went back and read through and realized what I posted coulda been taken that I actually reload already split cases...
  13. TheGunClinger

I didnt really think that you or anyone re-loads splits. It scares me just finding a split casing after just firing it. Besides, it would be tough to get a good crimp!:D
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

indeed it is. most of the splits i have fired left unburnt powder in the bore. And i dont put more than one in the chamber at a time. Splits cause the bullet to lose tension as well causing it to walk out of the case quickly. I shoot em first and usually use them as a fouling shot or shooting at a turtle or something;)