44 MAG FOR ELK

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by the major, Jul 19, 2003.

1. the major

the major New Member

Picked up one of those new RUGER 77/44 in .44 mag of course. It is light, handles well and accurate. I plain on using it for elk in thick dark timber, keeping my shots under 100 yrds. I'll probably use LBT 270 cast bullets. Have any of you actually killed any elk with a .44 yet? I've shot a few elk in my 45 years of hunting, but never used a pistol caliber before. I'm impressed with penetration and frontal area of this caliber though, and am sure it will humanly kill my bull!!
  2. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome to TFF Major, hope you enjoy the site. As to your question I am curious as to the replys you get myself. I have not been fortunate enuf to draw an elk tag in my state yet but when I do I am not willing to risk my tag with a pistol cartridge. Not that it cant be done, I just am not willing to try it. Good luck in your search for an answer. Happy hunting.
  3. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

yeah we had a disscussion about hunting with these forget the name of the post. I believe a few elk were mentioned.
  4. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

I have seen it done...not my preferred choice of caliber to be brutally honest. I have a 45-70 guide gun I use under those conditions that has served me well. Shot placement would be of paramount importance. My $.02

swede
  5. the major

the major New Member

44 on elk

I've got a Guide Gun 45/70 too Sweede. Good guns an't they? Put a Williams 5$ Receiver sight on mine. Just thought I'd try the new Ruger for a change. Heck, I see plenty of guys up on Spread Creek and Gros Venture with .444 Marlins, the .44 mag can't be too far behind.
  6. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Folks have done it with a .44 mag handgun so it is doable. You might consider keeping it down to something more like bow hunting ranges, though. Under 50 yards, IMHO. If your animal takes off after being hit, at 100 yards, follow up shots will be at ranges that seriously press the capability of the round. The elk may present a portion of his anatomy where a second shot at 150 yards, or more, will merely add insult to injury.

A bad scenario would be for the elk to head down a draw and die at--or fall down to--the bottom, leaving you the chore of hauling the animal back up a couple of hundred feet of steep, brush choked slope. Such a scenario would somewhat negate the advantantage of carrying a light, handy (but low powered) carbine.

Keep the Ruger for deer and hogs, though.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Here's a little perspective on where the 44 mag sits when compared to the 45-70 and 444 Marlin.

44 Mag with 265 gr top load 1700 fps. (Ruger 18" barrel semi-auto rifle)

Muzzle energy: 1700 ft./lbs
    Energy at 50 yds: 1372 ft/lbs
    Energy at 100 yds: 1108 ft/lbs

444 Marlin with 265gr top load 2200 fps.

Muzzle energy: 2847 ft/lbs
    Energy at 100 yds: 1898 ft/lbs

45-70 Gov't with 350 gr top load 2200 fps (New weapons only)

Muzzle: 3761 ft/lbs
    100 yds: 2507 ft/lbs

I would tend to say that the 44 Mag out of a rifle is still no match for either of the other two rifles. Bullet for bullet, the 444 has it almost doubled. The 45-70 speaks for itself. The above data is taken from the Hornady 4th edition reloading and ballistics tables.

As grunt said, it is doable, but ya gonna want to be close, say about 50 yds and under!

Semper Fi, Major
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2003
  8. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Regards major... I always hunted on the North Forth or up around Pinedale when I was a Wyo resident. Couple seasons in the desert south of Rock Springs too.

I cant critisize your doing it with the .44 mag. Its gonna be a challenge and I have seen it done. Biut in dark timber you are gonnabe close anyway. I might suggest a 300 gr hard cast bullet though.

Only problem I had was that it wasnt hard finding elk...it was hard shooting them in a place you can easily get them out of...

I decided one type to shoot an antelope with my scoped .44 redhawk. Max range 100 yds. I was gonna stalk em too...not dig a pit blind by a waterhole. That was a challenge I did not get accomplished that year. But I will try again some time. I applaud your efforts with the .44, I would move up to the 300 gr,

swede:) :)
  9. the major

the major New Member

Sweede, why do you think I need 300 gr bullets?
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Welcome to TDD, Major.

Hope you will join us and post often.

Probably its personal preference but I would use the new 1895MR long barrel 450 Marlin. Not because of my namesake but a lever hound since I'm so strongly left-handed and left eye orieanted! I, too, would worry about the need for a follow-up shot.

Have used my .44 Mag 1894 several times successfully on deer, though.....
  11. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Just my experience...seems to transfer more "wallop" energy to the target.

Plus recoil is less and they seem to be more accurate than the 200 & 240's in my redhawk.

swede