.44 Mag

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Az45shooter, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Az45shooter

Az45shooter New Member

I need to find a good factor .44 mag round for elk. I will be useing a scoped pistol in Arizona. Any advice will help.
  2. Az45shooter

Az45shooter New Member

I need to find a good factory .44 mag round for elk. I will be using a scoped pistol. Any advice will help.
  3. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

HOLD ON

I mean hold on, someone should be able to give you a tip or 2.

:D
  4. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

just curious what sort of pistol ya got?
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I'd say that any .44 Magnum pistol round would be underpowered for Elk.
  6. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

.454 cassull or .480 ruger
    otherwise use a Desert Eagle .44, they have about 250-500 fps more because the lack of gap that a revolver has. That would be sufficient for elk, but otherwise I would say one of the two loads I mentioned above.
    either that or a .50 Action Express, aka Desert Eagle .50
  7. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Take a look at the Cabelas shooting catalog. Buffalo Bore makes some pretty hot loads for the big bore revolvers. Get something like a 300 grain Keith design solid at 1300 or so fps. I shoot a similar load in my .45 Colt and it's a killer. Mine are handloads though.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  8. Cow Caregiver

Cow Caregiver New Member

Okay, fellas, enough magnumitis.

The .44 Magnum has been plenty of gun for elk ever since it came out in the 1950s. The advent of more powerful guns did not make it stop being enough gun for the task. The .45 Colt does a good job if you stalk close enough, but that is the task with any pistol round.

That said, any pistol round is underpowered for use on big game, when compared with even pedestrian rifle rounds like the .300 Savage or .30-40 Krag.

The .480 Ruger, the .454 Casull, the .475 and .500 Linebaugh rounds are all good hunting rounds, but the .44 works almost as well, and is far more readily available. In addition, the .44 or the old Colt will do an adequate job on grizzly bear or moose if you are in close quarters with either one.

That said, you will want a big bullet, 300 grains, hard cast lead, and the Buffalo Bullets available through Cabelas are probably your best bet in factory fodder. If you have to take a shoulder shot, you are going to want to break bone and penetrate a long ways.
  9. SaxonPig

SaxonPig New Member

I think handgun hunting is mostly a bad idea. Even the biggest pistol calibers pale in comparison to modest rifle cartridges. Yes, handguns have been used to take most animals on the Earth but having read some of the accounts of these hunts, I don't favor the practice. Seyfried and Keith both have written on using pistols for large game and I am troubled by the descriptions of firing round after round into an animal trying to stop it. I don't think any pistol can be counted on for a quick, humane kill on an animal as large as elk.
  10. Cow Caregiver

Cow Caregiver New Member

Hunting ethics

SP, once a long time back, one of my kanaka acquaintances conned me into hunting a pig Hawaiian-style, with a knife. Being young, dumb and convinced of my own prowess and invulnerable capability ( the old 3 meters tall and covered with Kevlar syndrome), I took him up on it. The considerable quantities of rum we had imbibed probably had something to do with my agreement, and we did enter into the underbrush in search of the wily boar. We found one. I stuck him. Then I hung on for what seemed like weeks as the 400 pound beggar tried to return the favor with his tusks. The Randall I used did not seem like enough tool for the task at the time. A ten foot boar spear would not have seemed like enough. Even the .50 on the APC I was running elsewhere would have been deemed a mite light.

The pig finally died. My kanaka buddy said he'd never seen any pig killed that quick with a knife. I was too busy binding up my own wounds to pay much mind to his compliments.

Compared to that experience, the .44 is a great improvement.
  11. hghunter44

hghunter44 New Member

First anyone who says a handgun should not be used to hunt
    needs to learn a thing or to learn about guns and shooting.
    Any how your best bet is a hard cast non-expanding bullet at 1,000 to 1400 fps and there is a good choice in most catalogs.
    This round will penetrate considerably deeper than the beloved
    7mm mag. at 50 yrds. Just place a nice shoulder hit and you will have no problems with a one shot kill.:D
  12. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome hghunter44!...Nice to see another pistol shooter around here!...are you more accurate than the "Shootist of TFF"...[​IMG]
  13. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Hi Az45shooter, Welcome to TFF
    I would shoot at an elk maybe at close range with a 300 gr bullet factory loads from Black Hills, Hornady or Federal. Might I suggest you try a few to see what one your gun shoots more accurately.
    The rule of thumb for Elk is, Bigger the better.
    Hope I was of some help to you, Good luck, and be sure to let us know how your hunt went!
  14. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Re: Hunting ethics

Being a medieval re-enactor, I've done a little bit of research on period hunting.

Typical Medieval Boar Hunt, with said spear, usually included the spear carrier being in armour. Even then, there's a REAL GOOD REASON for that crosspiece on the spear!

You would also have several fellow-hunters along with you armed with long swords or more spears to finish off the boar.

I'll pass on the boar hunt this season. [grin]
  15. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

Its all an opinion and a personal preference, I will use my handgun as a back up when hunting something that could potentially run back at me and gore my ass. Otherwise my .308 is just fine...
    I disagree, there are many different loads for a 7mm mag and the idea that your one mentioned round will penetrate better everytime than all available rounds for the 7mm mag. is just bunk. There are armour piercing rounds that will go straight through flak jackets up to 100 yards, and yes they are made for the 7mm mag.
    And we are talking about hunting with guns, no offense, of course a .44 is better than a knife duh, we are not saying it sucks and should never be used, its just a little inhumane. If I had to be shoot at distance I would rather it be done right and not half assed, and I think if Mr. Elk was intelligent enough he would say the same, that is if you gave him no alternative...
    I hope I never see someone hunting with a long colt, thats just ridiculous, sure you can do it, but.... Its like bungie jumping with your penis, sure you can do it, but would you want too? And I understood you stated close range, close range with a pellet gun to the temple would do it if you wanted too.
    Although I can sympathize with not wanting to carry a gun that has to be magnaported (like the .454 or .480 etc.) A .44 can be carried and shot very comfortably without compensation, as can the others, but long term are terrible on the wrist and hand.
    .44 mag can be found at any backwoods hardware store, walmart, country stores, etc. the newer wildcat converts can't, heck the .357 sig can't be found at anyone of those places, least not in my experience.
    I just want to know that you guys are taking down these elk and other larger game with the .44 by killing them, not by severly injuring them so as they can't walk, then strolling up after a few minutes of intense suffering and ending the job, thats all.