44 magnum jacketed bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Harralson, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Harralson

Harralson New Member

I have been using Zero JHP for my .357 and have been satisfied with them. I am considering buying a 44 magnum, but Zero does not make a jacketed .44 bullet. Does anyone have a recommendation for reasonably priced .44 jacketed bullets?
    Thanks, Mark
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Berry plated bullets or Rainier's plated bullets work well if you keep the velocity reasonable. Both are total plated, no exposed lead. I've used both with loads up to 1000 fps.

Prices for these bullets are less than JHPs from Remington or Winchester.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

4. muddober

muddober Active Member

Mark, unless you are shooting indoors or hunting I would suggest you shoot cast bullets. For years I shot jacketed 240 grain hollow points and I drove them at about 1500 fps until I got tired of the recoil. It was then I went to 240 cast bullets at about 1000 feet and while it not nearly as hot as my jacketed loads it is no woos and a lot more fun and cheaper to shoot.

Ron
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  5. Harralson

Harralson New Member

Thank you all for the responses

Oneida Steve
    I just recently loaded my first 9mm with Barry's plated, but have not shot them yet. I am inetersted to see how they perform. I also bought some for my .38 amd .357 but have not even loaded them yet. They are a good price.

312shooter
    17.5 cent each is still a little steep, but it is the best I have seen. I probably will try these.

Muddober
    I will probably shoot a good deal of cast. One thing I don't know anything about is cast with a gas check. Any explanation of what that does for you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
  6. res45

res45 Member

7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Mark: I have never messed with gas checks but it is my understanding that it allows a cast bullet to be driven at much higher velocities than just a plain cast bullet which depending on hardness can be driven at about 1500 fps. I think that the gas check does just what its name implies meaning it protects the base of the bullet from the higher temperatures and the pressures that are required to obtain high velocities. I cast my own bullets and I can control the hardness of the bullet by adding antimony and tin. While I have driven some of my cast bullets at very high velocities (1500 fps) they don't make good hunting bullets in my opinion because they have to be so hard to drive at those velocities they don't mushroom at all. I once shot a wild hog with some of my very hard cast bullets and they pasted clear through him not having much effect. I had to finish him off with a jacketed soft point and that one shot killed him dead.

Ron
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I gave up shooting plain lead bullets in almost all my guns. I got tired of digging lead out of the barrels. I even kept the velocities below 1000 FPS but some guns still leaded up. I tired several brands including the '"hard cast" type, local manufacturers and nation wide brands.

I went to plated bullets from Rainier. They don't lead up the barrel, shoot as good as any other bullet I have tried, and are relatively inexpensive. For jacketed bullets in many calibers I turn to Remington or Winchester "Bulk" bullets, usually packaged in baggies rather than boxed. They also work fine. I even use them in my 45-70 rifle. The Bulk Remington hollow point 300 grain bullets actually shoot more accurately than boxed Speer or Hornady 45-70 bullets in my gun (Browning clone of Winchester 1886 lever rifle).

I do have to shoot plain lead bullets (actually swaged bullets, which are notoriously soft and WILL leave lead in the barrel if driven too hard) in my S&W Model 52. It uses 38 Special cases with hollow based wad cutter pushed all the way inside the case (its amazing to see a semi-auto gun feed rimed 38 special cartridges with NO lead sticking out of the case). But at the 770 FPS load level there is no lead left in the barrel.

LDBennett