44 magnum suggestion for single shot rifle

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Helix_FR, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Just a suggestion thread but what do you suggest in 44 magnum for a Single shot handi rifle. I'm looking for ammo that has slower burning powder for optimization of the longer barrel.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Are you looking for a factory load, or hand load data?

I don't reload 44mag myself, so I couldn't give you any info there. Hornaday's new LEVERevolution ammo may be a good reference point, even though you're only shooting a single shot; I've seen good groups with it at the range.
  3. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I've read that Winchester loads all their 44 mag loads with their W-296 powder. That's the powder I've gotten the highest velocity with my model 94 carbine and also the fastest for my 5" revolver when I've re-loaded heavier re-loads.
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 on the Hornady ammo. Pricey, but great stuff.
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't have a Handi Rifle in .44 Magnum but I do have one in .45 Colt. I load .44 Mag for my Ruger Carbine, the barrel is probably 4 inches shorter than the Handi Rifle.

I use 22 grains of H110 powder behind a 240 grain plated slug (Berry's Bullets) which is supposed to get you close to 1600 fps. This load is a mid level load out of the Hornady #7 manual. It seems to burn clean and is accurate out to 100 yards.

The Lyman #49 manual shows the same slug and 22.5 grains of H110 giving you about 1700 fps, they show it as the minimum load and 23.5 giving you 1765 fps.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Thanks Guys. I was looking for loaded ammo but I'm gonna take note on the reload data you all sent. I don't reload 44magnum b/c I just don't get out enough and shoot it. I just was noticing that using standard 44 mag ammo that my distance was not all that impressive I know its not a 100yd round but I was looking for something a little slower burning.:D
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

The Leverevolution ammo is factory loaded with what's called a duplex powder load. They put in a faster powder to get quick pressure build & they also put slow powder to maintain the pressure down the barrel. We as handloaders don't or shouldn't play around with duplex loads. We can't duplicate the Hornady Leverevolution stuff. Reviews on it are superb for trajectory & accuracy. $22 a box for 30-30. The soft sharp tips make it safe for tube mags & help the trajectory.