1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.44 special

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Pastor C, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

are .44 specials a good transition from .38 to .357 /and :rolleyes: is it a good low recoil round through a 4" barrel?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yes it's a low recoil round from a 4in barrel . now here are some real world numbers to compare. using a cor-bon self defense round a 38spl +p 110 grain bullet goes 1050 feet per second with 270 foot pounds of energy. a 357 round 110 grain goes 1500 feet per second with 550 foot pounds of energy. a 44 spl cor-bon 165 grain with travel at 1050 fps with 400 ft lbs of energy. now some of the milder loadings for a 44 spl will give you about 850 fps with 300 ft lbs, so that puts it in a range of 38spl +p but you are throwing a heavier bullet. this is the old debate heavy and slow vs. light and fast.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    And right now, if you buy the .44 you won't find any ammo for it! My favorite is the .44spc., but there is no ammo availible for it.
  4. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

Is it because of ""the ammo scare" or is it common for .44 spc. to be scarce?
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's not a real popular round. Because of that, they don't make a lot of it, or stores don't stock it, or both.

Back in the early 80s Smith came out with a re-release of their model 24. I ordered one, and when it came in, I told the clerk, "and give me a box of shells". They didn't have any. I went to four stores before I found some, and they only had one box.

This has nothing to do with the question, but I think it's funny.

I bought the shells. Filled out the book (between 1968 and 1986 you had to sign the book for all ammo you bought. All reloading components, also. Pain in the butt) with my name and driver's license number and address and all that happy horse kaka. Took it outside, sat in the car and loaded the gun (because empty guns are dangerous). When it was loaded, I backed the car out of the lot and drove off. Got about a block away, and here came a cop car, chargin' past me. Blue lights, but no siren. Swerved up into that pawn-shop's parking lot. Only thing I can figger is the pawn shop guy saw me load the gun, and decided I was going to come back inside, now that I had some ammo in my gun, and rob him. :) After givin' him all my information, that would have been real smart. :p
  6. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

Ruger has just intro'd a .44 Special Flat Top Blackhawk, available only through Lipsey Distributors.
  7. BillP

BillP New Member

Pastor, I thought you were looking for a 380 because of the low recoil? The 357 is not just greater than the 38 spec. it has a distinctive and rather nasty recoil that makes it difficult for recoil sensitive people to master. I love shooting the 45 ACP but am not at all fond of the .357 except for it's ability to shoot 38s.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

This is why I reload my own! One more thing, the .44spc is renowned for it's accuracy! As oscarmayer said, it is a low recoil rd. from a 4" barrel, a 2" barrel is another thing altogether. Not as bad as a .357 in a 2" barrel, but you will notice the kick!
  9. BillP

BillP New Member

double post
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  10. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

I don't know why it's not popular, big bullet/big bang/low-ish recoil

is it because it's a revolver round?

To me that's a plus, I like their reliability, and 1911's are a bit expensive,, it sounds like a good gun to have , -- go figure
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The load level of the 44 Special in a 4 inch gun is the closest thing to perfect yet. But you don't have to search out 44 Special guns or ammo, if you reload. But any 44 Mag that is to your liking and new brass in 44 Mag. Then load it to 44 Special specs. You'll end up with one tough gun that will last a lifetime if you only shoot those Special loads. It will be very accurate if you get a good gun like a S&W. It will give a big push and not a sharp punch in recoil. As I said, as close to perfect as possible.

LDBennett
  12. carver

carver Moderator

Right on Mr. Bennett! I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag, 5 1/2" barrel, and I love to shoot the .44 spc in it. .44 spc also works well in my .44 mag lever gun. As to accuracy, Pastor, Elmer Keith, the father of the .44 mag, was shooting the old .44 spc at an old outhouse about 500 yds form his back porch, and he was hitting it.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Because the 44 magnum overshadowed it.

The 357 would have killed the 38 special, but 38s were the cop caliber of choice. And 38s were available in little hide-out guns, while 357s only came in big holster guns. Now cops don't carry 38s and they make J frame 357s. I suspect 38 is on its way out.

Cops never carried the 44 special, and there were never any hide-out guns (okay, the Bulldog and the 696, but they are really too big for hide-outs) chambered in it. Its main sale was to outdoorsmen, who wanted a heavy holster gun. When the 44 magnum came along, most of them went to it and never looked back. As Carver and LD said, you can shoot the special round in a magnum, if you want to. So the guns went away. The only factory round, for the longest dang time, was a 246 grain RN lead bullet, at a very wimpy velocity. If you wanted better, you had to reload. As long as you were loading anyway, get one of them new 44 magnum pistols and download. Then you have the option of going hot if you want to.
  14. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Mostly reload for my .44. Moved a few years ago and can't find my dies. Went to Farm services, Inc. in Wallnut Ridge Ar. and they had several boxes in two loadings. Had a bulldog and liked it. Gave it to my daughter and she likes it. When I carry around here I use a S&W Mod. 21. Have known 2 lawmen who caried .44 Special but that was in my younger days. One of my sons has a .44 mag. but I don't enjoy shooting it because of the muzzle blast. Sticking with my .44 or .45.
  15. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

I appreciate the reports
    sound advice

My search continues
    Ohh Joy

So many guns , so little time