44 Top Break Copies, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by odentheviking, Mar 22, 2012.

1. odentheviking

odentheviking New Member

Hello All, First post here on the forum so please be gentle!

I have always liked to older Top Break revolvers, mostly the 2nd Mdl H&R's,(not the even older Black Powder crte. models!), but not really the common S&W's you see going for high dollar but are just plain shot out.

I have been trying to find information on the 44 Cal. copies. I have seen the Spanish and the Belguim copies but I am not seeing to much info on their quality, safety, cost, etc....
    Any information you may add will be very helpful to me.
    Many thanks, and "Hello", from Paul.
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I restored a Belgian top brake chambered for 44-40 WCF. The revolver was more or less hand made, and all of the repair parts had to be made by hand. You can fix these things but it's a pain. I would not advise paying any more than $200.00

The old Belgian was fired with black powder loads. It was still tight after 24 rounds, but the accuracy was not all that good.

Each one must be examined prior to shooting. However, the shooting qualities are rather poor and there is little reason to keep them for their shooting qualities.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum. Sorry I am not the one to answer your questions, but, just wanted to say hello and extend a handshake.
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  5. odentheviking

odentheviking New Member

Thank you Gents for the Welcome and the information on the Belgian models. I know about the Uberti copies of the Schofield and have heard good things, but what I am really hoping for is a double action and I think the Uberti's, (even the new "Russian" models), are all single action.

I would like to hear anything about the Spanish copies as they seem to be the closest to a S&W. I hope to use this for cowboy/farm and ranch hand living history/re-enacting.

Many thanks, Paul.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Paul,

These Spanish copies of the S&W, are they new/recent or old/antique copies?
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The Spanish / Belgian S&W copies were junk when they were made, a hundred years ago. Why in the world would you want one now? Just because it's old does not make it better. Junk is still junk.
  8. odentheviking

odentheviking New Member

Morning 45Auto, They seem to be an early, turn of the century, copy of the S&W Frontier 44 mdl. The two that I have seen have the date "1914" molded into the rubber grips. I would guess they are an older Black Powder Ctge. only mdl. But I think there is no date of manf. anywhere on them.
    Thanks, Paul.