444 Marlin

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

thumbuster
    (5/30/02 7:21:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 444 Marlin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking for anyone who loads 444 Marlin, especally for Winchester Big-bore. Would like to compare notes.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/30/02 7:49:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 444 Marlin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think wyomingswede is your man for this. If not him then surely Agunguy knows
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/30/02 9:31:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 444 Marlin
    Hi thumbuster! welcome to the board! Wow, 444, that would knock me right out of my wheelchair. I'm sure that there are some big caliber men hanging around here somewhere.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/30/02 9:39:53 pm)
    Kdub is doing a lot of 45-70 for Marlin and sure would be able to share some ideas with you.
    cointoss2

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/30/02 11:29:44 pm)
    Tho I hate to admit it - the June issue of Guns & Ammo has an article on the 444. Even mentions the Winchester Timber Carbine. The marlinfirearms.com website has a forum called "Big Bore" in the discussion board where you will probably learn more from the members on the .444 than you'll ever want to know!

BTW, Welcome to this board!

thumbuster
    (5/31/02 2:45:59 pm)
    Thanks for the infor guys. Seems like when I mention that I don't have a 444 Marlin but in a Winchester, the Marlin shooters are very quick to point out that the Bigbore is not up to the task of handling this round and will shake loose. I owned a Marlin 444 over 20 years ago and traded it because I couldn't carry it and couldn't afford wheels to put under it.
    Shooter 22, this rifle is my lightweight in the recoil department. It is very surprising how little felt recoil is incurred with this little honey, even pushing a 265gr bullet nearly 2300 fps. I have found something that helped my loads for this rifle and would like to chat with another reloader of this round for this particular rifle to see what else people have come up with for little "tricks".

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/31/02 7:13:44 pm)
    Thumbuster, welcome to forum.

Don't know why warpig recomended me for 444 info, only rifle I've got is without one of the 4s...it's a Ruger .44 magnum semi-auto early edition. Got a 3X9 scope on it and its bang on the money out to 100 yards.

I dabble mostly in handgun reloading and love it.

The 444 in any brand rifle has got to be an awsome game downer. My little .44 mag punched through a 200 lb deer at 50 yards and drilled through one shoulder out the other side into the woods some place.

Gunguy

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/31/02 10:28:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I threw your name into the mix cause I know you have vast relaoding knowledge GG Of course all of you know more about it than me.

I do get into shotshell reloads. Got me a bunch of OLD paper shells I am planning on loading up for my 1904 Stevens Double
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/31/02 10:29:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I rechambered a T/C Contender to .444 Marlin once. THAT was a hoot...
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/1/02 6:58:30 pm)
    Probably more like a 'blast' than a 'hoot', Doc!!

See lots of 45-70 T/C bbls for sale - could you imagine touching one of those 10" or 14" rascals off?!

Some brave folk show up at the gun range from time to time with 45-70 revolvers. Even shooting the mild factory loads in them, the front sights usually end up over the head or in the head!

thumbuster
    (8/9/02 8:30:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re:444 Marlin
    Been gone for a while but sorry to say I'm back, lol. Had the pure pleasure of shooting a friend's Contender chambered in 411JDJ. It is a 444 case necked down to .41. Oh it is a stout handfull but was quite managable with full loads. Would love to rebarrel a 444 for this but the reality of it is that you would actually lose horsepower. Just my 2 cents worth.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/10/02 12:33:40 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:444 Marlin
    isn't the 444 Marlin of the same ilk as the 357 Maximun? just a 44 on steroids and meth?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/10/02 4:18:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:444 Marlin
    Sorta, pretty much, Fred -

Has just about 30% more umph than the 44 Mag. Is a real knockdown killer out to 150 yds. Past that, even the 30-30 and .35 Rem start to catch up and pass the .444 in ability, due to lousy ballistic coefficent of the .41 pistol bullet.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"