44mag and 300gr

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Alaskashooter, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Alaskashooter

Alaskashooter New Member

:confused:Was wondering if my taurus 44mag mod numb 44ss4 will handle a 300 gr round. Most of the lead will be 240gr at the range but i want hot shot in the woods here in alaska. Thanks for the help.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Hi there and welcome to the Forum !

i've relocated your post to here as it will get the attention it deserves without the need to post it 3 times

the big taurus wheel gun should be able to handle it ok provided you have the nominated clearence from the front of the chamber , but the real experts will be along shortly to correct me where needed

cheers
  3. Alaskashooter

Alaskashooter New Member

Sry abought the three posts dont know how that happend thank you very mutch.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

5. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

6. Alaskashooter

Alaskashooter New Member

Carne frio thanks for the info on buffalo bore ive seen it at the store. But the question was will my taurus handle a 300 to 305gr shot. I was told that taurus cannot handle a hotshot but i thought diffrent.:AR15firing:
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

you will never know till you try it. every answer has to start somewhere.
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

The gun will no doubt handle it but why would you want to do it? Guys see 300 grain bullets weights being used in 45 calibers like the 454 Casull and some hot 45 Colt loadings for Rugers or TC single shots and think "I will shoot 300 grainers in my 44". The problem with that thinking is a 44 only measures .429 and a 45 measures .454 meaning that the .429 bullet in 300 grain gets to be so long that it negatively affects amount of powder one can get in the case. All meaning that if one considers a 300 grain bullet to be the optimum bullet weight for the 45 then about a 270 grain is as heavy as one should consider in a 44. That being said there are 300 grain 44 loadings out there. In my view a good loading of a 240 to 250 grain 44 bullet can be driven to optimum velocities as to achieve maximum efficiency of the 44 mag.
    Ron
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with that.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Short answer is case pressure is limited to 33,000 psi if I remember correctly. If the ammunition in question is not specifically labeled for a Ruger Super Redhawk then it has been made for all 44 magnum guns. Load it, hang on tight, shoot it and enjoy.
  11. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I'm a heavy bullet advocate for hunting loads.
    The Speer manual lists several loads for 300 gr bullets, Taurus revolvers are right up there in industry standards for the caliber chambered, I see no problem.
  12. Alaskashooter

Alaskashooter New Member

Thanks everyone for your advice in 300gr loads that will help me incase I run into a bear this salmon season on the river
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Spot freakin on Muddobber. you took the words right outta my fingers.

A 270 gr hardcast at max pressure in that .44 will burn a hole clean thru the grizzliest of kodiaks. ANd that large frame Taurus will handle em all day. No need to stuff the 300+ grainers in your .44 mag. Those bullets are geared toward the .444 marlin.
  14. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

My Redhawk sure seems to like the 300g XTPs. But its a Ruger, so no worries. Keep in mind that it doesn't matter how big or mean a bullet you send out, you gotta be able to hit the target. If you can handle it, do it. If you aren't comfortable with a big heavy load, back it off a little. I don't think a dead bear is gonna care if it was a 240 or 300 that dropped it.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    http://www.lasc.us/fryxell44overweight.htm "These trends show that the simple mantra of "more bullet weight + more meplat" does not necessarily equate to deeper penetration. After all, the meplat is the brake that stops the bullet. Admittedly, this model really amounts to little more than an entertaining exercise in mathematics, but it serves to illustrate that penetration depth and wound channel diameter are inversely related (as one goes up, the other goes down) and that choice of a bullet design represents a compromise between these two performance metrics. Obviously, the reason for choosing heavier than normal bullets is to obtain greater than normal penetration, so one selection criterion would be to eliminate from consideration all bullets below the threshold of the "standard" .44 Magnum load. From the remaining bullets, a sensible second parameter would be the largest possible meplat for the greatest tissue crushing capability. Combining these two selection criteria focuses the discussion on those bullets with values in the 80s in the table above (the SSK’s, the Lyman 429649, LBT LFN and RCBS SWC). It is worth noting that all of these bullets have meplats that are 69-72% of the bullet diameter (recall that Elmer Keith settled on a meplat diameter of about 70% for his last 3 SWC's)".