44mag and 300gr

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Alaskashooter, Mar 15, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats the only weakness to those SA rugers. They are fine in .357 and .45 colt, but you stuff a good stout .44 mag and that ejector rod housing giving way is the big hot load warning sign.

I never shot hot loads fom mine, I always loaded 240 gr cast to 950 and was happy. But a good friend had a sweet load worked up for his 7.5" redhawk and wanted me to chrony a couple thru my 7.5" blackhawk, so i did. that damn 240 was runnin over 1500 from the 7.5" barrel and the first round blew the ejector rod housing screw right out. Spent an hour crawling around in the grass with a magnet lookin for it.
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm just laughing because that has always been my story. I rarely shoot much over 950-1000 fps. I was given some 300gr bullets when I was in my early twenties and I loaded them hot going against my fathers advice. So we went out shooting and after a couple of shots something was different about my SBH. All of a sudden I realized that my ejector housing was gone and my father was laughing. It was literally gone. Where it ended up landing was in the 2:00 position from where I was standing when I was shooting. Needless to say my father knew that was going to happen so he was ready and watched for it to go flying.

Then one time I bought new SBH 44 mag and just wanted to be Mr. Macho and went for the gusto with some more 300gr. and once again the ejector housing was out of there. Also, we were looking for the spring and while we were walking around I felt something wet on my right hand and I looked down and saw that the dragoon style grip had cut the inside of my middle finger right at the knuckle. It left a cool scar.

I also have a blackhawk 44spl (3 screw) that the ejector housing has been blown off too.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Went a wee bit over SAAMI spcs huh? I have had to have my Dan Wesson put back in order again 3 different times from shooting mostly .357 mag including some handloads that were unwise. I don't do that anymore. I have never done a thing to my Super Blackhawk. just shoot and clean, shoot and clean, and I do that a lot but all standard factory loads or lighter hand loads for target shooting. I just never felt the need to put any extra spice on that particular caliber.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

there ist at all OG. The .44 mag loaded to max .44 spec levels is perfect for all handgunning IMO.
  5. ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd New Member

I joined here just to answer this post. The diameter of a case has nothing to do with it's capacity. I have been running 300-340 grain HC through 44 mags for over 10 years. Garrett arms has been around longer than that and goes to 330gr with no problem, and buffalo bore and few others go to 340 grain. The fact is that the 44 magnum case has enough capacity to push a 340 grain round to over 1400 fps. With no problem and no over pressure conditions. The hottest loadings for the 44 give 1600 FPE, the normal hot loadings give 1200-1300. Not sure why people think that 300 grainers are something to be avoided. They have become so common and present no problems at all. And critters will feel the difference between a 240 and a 300+ grain round. Lot more energy, more momentum and higher ability to break bone.
  6. Python

Python Former Guest

Haven't fired a 300 grain in my Vaquero, yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I agree (except for the Diameter of a case having NOTHING? to do with it's capacity)
    Fact is, for hunting in particular, the 240 is now a lightweight, the 270 intermediate, and the 300 is at the low end of the heavy bullet spectrum.
    For large game, a proper heavy bullet works well, and terminal ballistics are very sketchy regarding meplat and performance.
    However, for low velocity (as in high power rifle compared to standard handgun rounds) bullets, history has evidence that heavy bullets work well.
    The article posted spoke to "tissue crushing capibility", but this is a VASTLY varied concept having to do with shot placement, animal, and even circumstance. If shooting a close threatening bear, wound channel be damned, penetration to the brain or spine is the key, and heavier bullets can often carry through tough bone and muscle due to retained energy.
    If shooting your Deer or elk after a successful stalk or from a blind, the lighter bullets would do well if they don't need to penetrate a heavy shoulder bone.
    I don't see wound channel in a .44 or .45 as an issue, you already have a large channel due to caliber (compared to say, a 7mm) so penetration is the real key, as witnessed by dangerous game hunters using solids.
    I cast my .45LC heavy bullets hard, and have never lost an animal, and most show very minimal expansion, even in an Elk.
  8. ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd New Member

yeah, I meant in this case, the diameter and case capacity at the velocities talked about is irrelevant. If we were talking about pushing 340 grain slugs at 1700 fps out of a 5.5 inch barrel then case capacity(volume) ,which is dependent on diameter and length of case, would matter.

There is tons of published load data for pushing 300 grain bullets at reasonable velocities and staying within current pressures. In fact, I think all of the current factory loadings, including +p loadings are within the original pressure specs of the 44 magnum(not the current pressure specs which are lower). The only exception may be the buffalo bore 340 +p+.