45-70 action strength

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Idahoshooter
    (2/19/03 2:51:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 45-70 action strength
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm looking at a number of single shot 45-70's, but I'm trying to figure out which has the strongest action. Trapdoor, falling block, rolling block, ect.
    I would like to shoot light smokeless and black powder loads at medium and long distance. Of course, good wouldn't hurt either.
    Thanks

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/03 1:42:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 45-70 action strength
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome, IdahoShooter -

Glad to have you aboard! Hope you enjoy TFF and will join us in all the many forums here.

Of the choices you listed, the trapdoor would be the weakest action. Don't know of any modern reproductions of this action, so that means the old originals are DEFINITELY weak.

IMHO the falling block is stronger than the rolling block, but imagine I'll get lots of rebuttal from the rolling block fans. The new repro's are pretty nice, both foreign and US made. None should be shot to modern Winchester, Marlin or Ruger loadings, tho. Speaking of the leverguns, don't overlook them for BP and smokeless shooting - those with 24" - 26" bbls are pretty darn'd accurate. Stick with the more moderate loads listed in the various manuals and you'll be OK.

We have lots of BP 45-70 shooters at our range - it's fascinating to watch their benchrest and crossed stick accuracy with these old charcoal burners.

I load for a modern Marlin 1895 for smokeless powder hi-velocity hunting with jacketed bullets. Sure enjoy the 45-70 caliber!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Edited by: kdub01 at: 2/19/03 1:45:51 pm

Idahoshooter
    (2/19/03 4:13:58 pm)
    Thanks for the info. I was bitten by the 45-70 bug about 15 yrs ago when I bought a Marlin 1895 made in 1972 or 73. It has the straight stock and ballard rifling. Shoots both cast and jacketed bullets like a dream.
    I would like to get into BP cartridge shooting.
    Does anyone know of loading data for reduced loads in the 45-70?

Thanks again.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/03 6:21:17 pm)
    The Lyman Reloading Handbook has lots of listings for lead bullets with reduced smokeless loadings, for the Springfield 1873 (Trapdoor), the Win '86/Marlin '95 and the Ruger #1.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/19/03 10:19:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 45-70 action strength
    Kdub, what is wrong with shooting newer guns like the Ruger #1 or the Browning or Winchestors with the smokeless powder factory 45-70 loads or you you talking about the cheaper repros like in the Cabela's catolog that are black powder only?

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Mauser45
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/19/03 11:31:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Idaho, the strongest action would be the falling blocks made by Ruger and Browning. Then you would have the Marlin and Winchester 1886 lever actions. Next would be the Rolling blocks and last in strength is the trapdoor springfields. There are some Siamese Mauser conversions out there that are considered as strong as the Falling block actions. Navy arms used to sell them. Actually, there could be a lively debate about whether the Marlin lever action is stronger than a Rolling block action. Some of the later Remington actions were chambered for the 7MM Mauser which has a chamber pressure of 45,000 cup.

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/22/03 3:52:15 pm)
    how does the Sharp's falling block compare. a friend of mine has one. i won't borrow it from him out of fear i'll need one of my own. you know... all them horseback bandits riding into san diego that need knocking down at 1000 yards and all...

chris in sandy eggo

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/22/03 5:13:10 pm)
    Sorry for taking so long in getting back, Piggie - Things came up that demanded some time.

The gentleman was asking for reduced smokeless loads to shoot for general target shooting and some blackpowder loads. Heck yes, you can shoot smokeless in modern firearms - I load up a pretty good shoulder bruiser in my modern Marlin 1895LTD with a 350 grain jacketed roundnose bullet that has a muzzle velocity of over 2075 fps in a 45-70. That's not max loaded, but it's enough to get your attention!

The reproduction Sharps all depend on who made it and the type of steel that went into it. Those produced by the quality gunmakers in the US can be loaded up to the modern lever action receipes with no problem. Most foreign (read, Italian) repo's instruction manuals recommend staying with the lower Springfield loads (i.e., 28,000 psi). I've known guys that exceed this slightly and things look OK, but best to stick with the mfr's recommendations.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/22/03 6:33:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Got it, thanks.

I have been lusting for a Browning BPCR 45-70 for some time now.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/22/03 11:03:54 pm)
    Gee, Pig - Didn't know you and ol' Peanut Jim were related - both of you having lust in your hearts!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/23/03 10:34:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    who in the hell is peanut Jim?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/23/03 10:38:20 pm)
    He who was attacked by a charging, maneating rabbit!!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"