45/70- bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by TheGunClinger, Mar 30, 2012.

1. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Anyone know where I can find some 405 gr jacketed soft point bullets?
    I am running low and can't find any.:( I'd like to get a few hundred.
  2. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I used to buy Rainier bullets for my 45/70 but they no longer have them. I have not looked on Midway but they used to have them.
  3. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  4. TheGunClinger

Just checked there and they are out of them. I got the last box from Midway about 6 mo. ago and they havnt had any since. I did order some cast bullets from Midway.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My brother is new to reloading, and he is gearing up to reload his 45/70. His first step was to go down to the store, and buy some 325gr bullets. He has three reloading manuals, and none of them give load data for the 325gr bullets. So he goes on line and finds that Unique will work for the 325gr bullets, but the site only lists a start load, and a max load, and lists no presures at all. So now he is on line trying to find more information on this load. My advice to him was simple, why not load what is in the reloading manuals that you have. They are the most popular loads, and all the info you need is right there. I wish you luck on finding info on the 405 bullets though!
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you strike out on the 405 bullets the 300 grain jacketed hollow point bullets from Remington sold as "Bulk" bullets (in plastic baggies. not boxed) work best in my Browning 1886 Winchester lever clone.

Be aware that there are three levels of reloading data for 45/70:

Lowest is for old breech loaded Springfields.

Mid level is for lever guns like the Marlins or Winchesters or the Browning levers.

High level is for the falling block Ruger No.1's

Whatever you do, don't mix up the loads or you may find out what gun shrapnel look like!

In my testing of 300 grain Remington bulk packaged jacketed hollow point bullets beat out the boxed 300 grain bullets significantly in MY gun.

LDBennett
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Really good advice! I cautioned my brother on this very thing, but did not think to add it to my post. Thanks!
  8. TheGunClinger

Thanks on the data tip. I use the Marlin 1895 data from the 49th Lyman manual. 53gr of Varget seems to work good. I'm going to Bass Pro Shop today and see if they have any of the 300 gr HP's in stock.
  9. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

10. carver

carver Moderator

But the OP was looking for 405 gr jacketed soft point bullets!
  11. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

There are four power levels: you missed the one for the Sharps 1874 rated at 29,200 cup (this is what most factory ammunition is loaded to). The Trapdoor load is around 20,000 cup.

The last bag of Remington 405 JSP's I bought was at Cabelas. You might try there. Great shooting bullet.
  12. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

13. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Wasn't anyone coming up with anything closer than that 400 gr. is why that got thrown out there. I find it doubtful that he nor the game he uses it on will know the difference between 5 grs. either.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=126
  14. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

That is what I was thinking, kinda like the 117gr and the 120gr bullets I load in my daughters 25-06. I have not heard a deer or pasture poodle yet complain about getting shot with a bullet that weighs 3grs more. LOL
  15. TheGunClinger

I asked about the 405 gr bullets because thats what I was using originally. I didnt even think about 400 gr, duh. I just found some Speer .458 dia. 400 gr JSP's at Midway. Thanks pointing me the right direction Quigley! And thanks to all who offered me their advice.