The Firearms Forum banner

45-70 loaders.. what gr projectiles are you most often using?

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  TheGunClinger 
#1 ·
what weight projectiles are you guys most often using?

#2 ·
It depends on the rifle. My Sharps uses either the 300 gr. Barnes, the 405 gr. Remington jacketed round nose or the Lyman 518 gr. cast roundnose (all handloads). You are somewhat limited if using a lever gun; the big heavies won't chamber in them.

#6 ·
405 Cast RNF. Got about a half box of 300 grain JHPs somewhere. Didn't like 'em.

#7 ·
I just target shoot and plink with my Browning 1886 clone. I tried boxed bullets but found that my gun liked Remington bulk 300 gr HP over 4227 at 1800 FPS best for accuracy. They were less expensive than anyones boxed bullets. Your gun might like some other bullet and powder combo (??).

If you are using any tube fed rifle be aware that you cannot use pointed bullets. Hollow or flat points avoid the risk of discharges in the tube during recoil.

LDBennett

#8 ·
at the begining of this year when components were hard to find I found the motherload of Remington 405 gr jacketed bullets in the bargain cave at Cabelas for $15 per hundred
All summer I have been shooting those out of my Ruger No.1
come to find out they shoot pretty well :)

#12 ·
at the begining of this year when components were hard to find I found the motherload of Remington 405 gr jacketed bullets in the bargain cave at Cabelas for $15 per hundred
All summer I have been shooting those out of my Ruger No.1
come to find out they shoot pretty well :)
That's a great bullet. You did good and I'm jealous.

#14 ·
Mostly a 405 hollow base from Lee, I do have a Postell 510 I'm itching to try, I'm 45/70 -less at the moment.... Looking at .458 Winmag soon too...

#15 ·
A Lyman cast 293 gr. on top of 24 gr. of 2400. in my old Egypt Springfield that cost $9,95 plus shipping in 1963. Which I no longer own. Which included the HARD very Hard cosmoline. This was a barreled action. My buddy and I made our own stocks and forends out of some maple boards that were handy. It was quite a project for two young kids in their early 20's. I think he owned his until he past away several years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.