45-70 versus 30-30

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Bob Alb, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Bob Alb

Bob Alb New Member

I am looking to buy a marlin lever action and can't decide on a 30-30 or a 45-70. I hunt deer primarily in terain that affords shots at 100 yds or less. which would you pick and why?
  2. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

Unless the deer in your area resemble mastodons, I think I'd go with the 30-30.
    But hey, that's just me ;)
  3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

If you are going marlin,keep in mind a .444 too.I was just given one,and It is a great gun and caliber
  4. I won't argue that the old .30-30 is certainly adequate for the kind of deer hunting Bob is talking about. Indeed, the first deer I ever took was with a Marlin 336 at about 70 yards. ;) On the other hand, there is something to be said for the venerable old .45-70. Anything you hit with it is going DOWN, right away quick, from a white-tailed deer to bear in full charge! Heck, I suspect it would drill a Merkava IV through the frontal armor! Well, that may be just a "little" bit of an exaggeration. Maybe a Russian T-80 :D;)
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I'm not a recoil fan. If I can have a gun that will do the job just a s well or better, with less recoil, than that's the way I go. I use a .308 for every thing in the states except Brown bear and Moose . Only then will I go to my 300 Winchester Magnum. I shot a Marlin 45-70 and after I found my eye teeth that had been knock out by the recoil I gave it back to my friend and said no thanks. I grew up in Michigan and in my youth I used a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Almost all my deer were one shot drops at a 100 yards or less. Your choice but I would recommend finding a 45-70 and firing it a few times before you decide. I will add this , I know you are aware of it already, more important than caliber is shot placement. A well placed shot with a small caliber is better than a miss with a .475 Holland and Holland.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you are fixed on Marlin, get a 30/30. I had a 95 for a while. Kicked the billy-be-geezus out of me. Don't know if the stock is too small, or too thin, or what, but it just plain hurts. My Browning 1886 don't hurt. Neither does the Rolling Block, or the #1 or the Sharpses or the Trapdoor. But that Marlin was flat painfull, and I sold it off quick.
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have a couple of 45-70 rifles. However for the tasks you have described the 30-30 would suffice just fine. It will easily take all of but the largest North American game. A plus for the 30-30 is ammo is usually plentiful and not overly expensive.

As for the 45-70, well there is a definite cool factor to take into consideration. I like lobbing 405 grain bullets down range and the the loud blast and somewhat smart recoil that the round has to offer.
  8. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Well....One shot, zero yard run drops sound nice. Be nice in the woods so you won't lose them. The 45-70 will probably give you that. I'd shoot one before I bought one though. I'm sure they kick like a mule.
  9. BigCheeseStick

BigCheeseStick New Member

I vote 45-70 if only for the fun factor, and even if you miss a doe or small buck the wind from that much lead flying bye will knock'em over!
  10. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

LOL I got another caliber for you .35 Remington, its what I use and its really brushy around here. get a good shoulder shot or head shot and they drop like a stone.
  11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I use my trusty old 98k 8mm. Break it down like this, I dont like to track a deer for 1/2 a mile to find his hind end. I know there is some of you fellers on here gonna talk about shot placement and accuracy and blah blah blah but face it folks it happens to all of us. I have a bad back and dragging a 125lb carcass across my shoulders all the way back to the truck is a pain. And face it, they almost never run towards the truck, If your lucky 1 outta 20 mabbe. A 45-70 has been used for ages, its one of them all purpose rounds, its been killin injuns, buffalo, rabbid white people, deer, sheep, cars, Trucks, hellicopters, NASA orditers, and I believe I seen some one here mention a Russian tank. Where a 30-30 will do a 45-70 will garuntee less walking. Besides a belly shot will get half the field dressing done for you right there on the spot, ma be a bit messy but it will work.:D
  12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I'm kind of in the same place.I was just given a .444 marlin,and while I know it will do the job,my dad has a 1942 win 30-30 that I really want to use.I know I will be less likely to flinch with the little gun vs the .444
  13. ednred

ednred New Member

I have both calibers and have used both on deer. I've never lost a deer to either caliber. They both get the job done. Inside 100 yards, the old 30-30 will get the job done with much less recoil.

Don't forget the new Leverevolution ammo from Hornady. It shoots much flatter than the traditional flat nose bullets and expands better too. It takes the 30-30 to a whole new level.
  14. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I favor the 30-30 because it has less recoil and will do the job you are asking - specifically, a deer within 100 yards. My only experience with the 45-70 was with a guide gun, and I'm certain that over time I would have acquired a flinch as I found the recoil bothersome. I agree that you should always have enough gun; but why have too much?

I own a Marlin chambered in 35 Remington and recommend it highly. It will do anything a 30-30 will do, only better. Recoil is quite manageable - even for a guy like me with arthritis in the shoulder. No, its not a 45-70, but its a great compromise.
  15. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1 on considering the .35Rem. It's a fine cartridge for deer and more at your yardages.
  16. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Both calibers are more than adiquite for what you need. Consider that in some states the 45-70 in single shot form, is considerd as old technology, and is allowed to take deer during the black powder only season. My brother in Lake Charles, LA is buying a 45-70 just for that reason.
  17. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

18. mike calkins

mike calkins New Member

I've got an 1886 win in 45-70. It was a 38-56 and was shot out the guy that had it had it bored and re-chambered in the 45-70. what a kick in the butt to shoot. The gun is in excellent shape now and I wouldn,t be afraid to depend on it for anything that comes along. all good, mike
  19. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have owned both 30/30 and 35 rem and they were good cartridges. The 45/70 will do the job but on that light a platform will also let you know how good it is doing it. I am not particularily recoil sensitive but I would go with the 30/30 and get some of the leverolution (???) ammo which will give a flatter trajectory in case you pop out into a field or power lines and see that 10 pointer on the other side a couple hundred yards away.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  20. Sandman

Sandman New Member

+1 on that! I have been thinking about getting a 45-70 for our primitive weapons season, but as soon as the rifle season arrives it would be moved to the gun cabinet until next year.