The Firearms Forum banner

.45-75 Winchester lever action

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Big Mak 
#1 ·
Dad's gun. I have no pictures as he is 84 years old and not completely computer/cell phone literate but I have my sis going over there in the next month to take pics. Here is the story behind his rifle. Trying to find out more history for him on his rifle.

"Serial # 57957, King's Improvement, Patented March 20,1866 ....October 20, 1880. Round Barrel, Interior Brass Shell Feed and Extractor. with Lever Action. Rear fold down Elevated Sight. While living in White Bear Lake in the late 70's I had a UPS Driver that was a collector of Winchester guns that tried his best to buy it from me a number of times. It was one he said that he had looked for and never did find one available. It is really in good shape for its age and has never been refinished. I bought this gun in the early l940's at around 12 years old and used it as a youngster for deer hunting....at my Grandpa's Resort at Cass Lake. During the second World War there were not any new firearms for sale. My Uncle Ed who was a traveling salesman bought it in Iowa from one of his customers before he was drafted into the Second World War. He use to take me deer hunting and put me in the woods somewhere on a log while he went off and tried to chase deer my way. I paid for it from the money I made at that early age by taking people out fishing from my Gramp's resort. It cost me a whole $10.00 that was a lot of money for a kid in the 40's. So basically that is all the info I have on it.. Maybe your search could discover more. It would be interesting to learn when it was shipped from Winchester and to whom and if there might be any follow up records. "

What 'other' questions should I ask him about it to get a history?

Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
According to the Blue Book The model of 1866 was only available in .44 rim fire. The .45-75 wasn't offered until the Model 1876. Values range (older edition) depending on the variation, from $500.00 to $2400.00 depending on condition. Going by the serial # given it is a Model 1876 rifle third model. all of the 1876 Models appear to have had round barrels. Picture will help to accurately identify the model and condition.

#4 ·
I believe that 1866 patent date is for the Kings Improvement loading gate, which first appeared on the '66. The model 1860 Henry loaded from the front of the magazine tube, similar to a 22 rifle.

The caliber said '76 to me, which made the 1880 patent date a little puzzling, but the Winchester SN list (which is normally off by a couple of years) puts that SN to the late 1880s, so it could be some modification that was made after the '76 was put into production.

#5 ·
To me it appears that you have a Winchester Model 1876 which was manufactured in 1885 (give or take a year or two). Are you sure about the barrel markings? You stated "Patented March 20,1866 ....October 20, 1880". I would have expected that to be "March 29, 1866 October 16, 1860". Please take another look to verify as I certainly could be incorrect. To get a Winchester Letter on your gun just point your browser to http://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/ and it will tell you.

#6 · (Edited)
I finally got some pictures of Dad's .45-75.

Any assistance in identifying worth is appreciated as he is going to insure his collection including this.

Attachments

#10 ·
Hello,

What you have is a very high condition Winchester Model 1876 Sporting Rifle that was manufactured in November of 1887. I highly recommend that you contact the Cody Firearms Museum research office and purchase a factory letter for it.

Based on what I can see of it in the pictures you posted, it is 100% factory original, and in extremely good condition. The collector value is somewhere in the $18,000 - $20,000 range.

Bert H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.