.45 ACP accuracy?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Raven18940, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Raven18940

Raven18940 New Member

I've heard 45 totted as inherently more accurate and I'm at a loss as to why. I'm guessing it has something to do with it's heavy mass and large diameter for good stability whilst spinning. But couldn't a smaller, higher velocity bullet be spun at greater speed? Anyway, could someone explain this to me, I don't get it. :confused:
  2. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Heavy mass, low velocity, and good gyroscopic stability. Smaller bullets have their mass closer to the centerline of rotation so they provide less gyroscopic stability and resistance to change of direction. Also, slower rotation helps reduce drift from air friction
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Raven, I believe once you hit a certain amount of rotation you will start making it key-hole instead of stabilizing the flight path.
  4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Slow bullets are accurate bullets. It's always been that way with handguns.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Country101:

From what I read I believe you can not over stabilize a projectile.

The hooker is the rotational rate may cause the bullet to disintegrate (fly apart). While not a probability in a handgun bullet I have been able to do it to a 52 grain (non-match) 223 bullet going through a 1 in 8 in twist barrel at velocities well above 3000 FPS. Shot 25 bullets on a 8x11 target at 100 yds and ony 5 or so showed. Further investigation says the rest never even hit the 2 ft x 4 ft backer board. Apparently the hunting style bullets are not uniform enough and start wobbling at the high rate of rotation. Match bullets work fine.

LDBennett