45 acp Brass Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 76Highboy, Oct 13, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have two 45 semi-auto pistols. One is my Springfield XD45, and the other is my Ruger SR1911. So far the brass that I have been running through these two pistols are the original brass that I started with.

BUT,,, I was just given 62 pieces of 45 acp brass and I have no idea what they were shot through. It is my understanding that if they were shot through a Glock (unsupported chamber) that I should not reload them and then run them through my Springfield or my 1911. Is this correct and is there a way to know if they were shot through a Glock?

Thanks guys.
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

It shouldn't be a problem, the .45ACP is a low pressure round that most likely isn't going to bulge the cases even if shot in the unsupported glock chamber. Run the brass through your sizer die and look for signs of case bulging, if not present use it as any other brass that you may have. If it is slightly bulged, Lee and Redding make a die that will remove the bulge and allow proper chambering.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  3. 76Highboy

Thanks Twicepop.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Just reload em, and shoot em! As you reload them just look for cases that are damaged, no matter what they were shot in.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

pretty sure the Glock issue is mainly the .40, a Glock smile is very easy to determine. A bulge at the bottom of the casing is evident, if it is ran through a resizing die a experienced reloader can pick up on the added resistance it takes to fold over that bulge, hence the "smile" I think you are fine with the 45acp's lower pressure.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

is there a way to know if they were shot through a Glock?

Look at the primer. Every other gun, that I'm aware of, puts a round dent. Glocks have a rectangular dent with a round one in the middle of it.

[​IMG]

Now, this might have blown because it was shot in a 40 Glock, or because it is crappy Amerc brass. Why it blew is irrelevant. See the primer?
  7. 76Highboy

Thanks Ron. I have a bunch of 40 cal brass that was given to me over time and I looked at the primers and it looks exactly like the 40 cal in your pic. I just looked over the 45 acp brass and all of it has a small dimple and that is all.

Thanks Ron
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've not heard of any issues with .45 acp in the Glocks, like said it is mainly the .40 cal.

load 'em up and blast away!
  9. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

How you feeling good I hope