45 acp bullet preference

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 76Highboy, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For plinking and hunting jack rabbits and cotton tails, what is an all around good bullet for my Ruger 1911? I want to buy some in bulk next month. I haved not loaded much in the 45 acp so I am looking for options for reloading.

Thanks guys:)
  2. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

230 grain fmj is what I use for plinking but I was lucky enough to find some truncated conicles,they are super accurate,they are cone shaped with a flat nose but there hard to find.At least they are for me.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Round nose, or flat nose, either one works for me! Winchester White Box .44APC is flat nose, and some guns don't feed em well! I use round nose bullets for practice, and for some personal work, like shooting thru a car door!!! Something I've only done on old wrecks! Round nose for the most penetration, and hollow points for those zombies that need shooting! You will also discover that there are hollow points out there that some guns won't feed well! I also use lead round nose at the reloading bench.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

For small game, try to get a flat-nose, truncated cone, or semi-wadcutter style bullet.

Granted, you're smacking them with a .45 slug, but most of the time a round nose FMJ will just drill right on through without phasing them too much.
    I've needed 4-5 rounds of 230gr FMJ to finish off a racoon or muskrat. The Winchester 185gr flat nose FMJ that carver mentioned works better on racoon than any 230gr round nose FMJ that I've used.

I've never taken the .45s bunny hunting yet but I'm working on a 200gr cast lead SWC load that might work okay on game when I get the OAL length dialed in so it feeds reliably.

My favorite small-game load for the .380ACP was a 100gr TC. Would down cottontails like a sledgehammer when lead RNs would drill right through. Didn't ruin much meat either so they were edible too.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

6. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

For all around use, I prefer the 200 LSWC (better yet moly or poly coated).