45 ACP Carbine

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Claudius Valarium, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    Good discussion. Thanks to all for the input.

Hunter, that's a helluva story. I've got a mini-14 also, but wasn't considering that for HD.

After thinking more about it, I'll stay with my first plan of using a shotgun loaded with 00 buck. I'll use the 1911 / 45acp as the BUG. I'm also in rural area and am not worried about overpenetration.
  2. whirley

whirley New Member

Apparently it boils down to a projectile or projectiles, that penetrate and uses all its foot pounds of energy within the target, as opposed to a high velocity projectile that passes through and only uses some of it's energy to hopefully disable the target. I'd stick with the farmers friend, the shotgun. All purpose, with the proper load good on small or large game or undesireable objects, with ammunition available in every hardware store. They all stock 12 and 20 gauge, but many don't carry anything else than 22 LR and 30/30.With that crazy dog, perhaps even a boar spear would have done the job!
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

Whirley, maybe a spear would have been better! but remember the Pit Bull is a special breed..it literally feels little or no pain when enguaged in a fight! so while even i realize the .223 would usuall stop most "normal" dogs, it has little effect on such a "super" dog.

as my vet friend explained..the pit bull was like a bear or bull comming at me, only something with enough mass to impeed its movement and break large bones would slow or stop such a animal. notice the 2 shots that the skull deflected? while the velocity was there the mass wasnt. the .357 was not deflected and drove the head down, tumbling the dog end over end stopping the charge and ending all brain functions. even a pit with both shoulders shattered would keep trying to come at a person till the brain died!

so im not knocking the .223 as a good cal for shooting many types of game but for me and my family we perfer a much larger cal. wife favorite is .357, (no wonder since she saved my life with one!) and mine is the 45 lc and 454, we both love the 50 bmg but neither wish to carry it very far!
  4. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Josh- I said NOTHING about moving around or searching for anything or anyone. It's good to cover these things, but NOT in the context of berating another member of this forum.
    A handgun is simply easier to retrieve from ANY place where it is kept than any long gun would be. My 870 is in the closet. The front sight post could snag on anything else in the closet, and cause a little delay. A rifle under the bed, or even leaning on the wall next to the bed could snag on covers, or whatever.
    I mention a double stack magazine because it is contained in the frame of the gun, so your own hand keeps it from snagging anything. In another thread on another forum, someone asked about using an extended mag, like the 33 round magazine for Glock 9mm's. There, it was mentioned that the longer mag could likely interfere with movement.
    The best advice I've seen yet for a home defense gun is to use whatever you are most familiar with.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Joe:

There was nothing berating in that comment. I'm sorry it was interpreted that way, but it definitely was not intended.

Handguns are less powerful and are more difficult to accurately fire than shotguns or rifles. In any situation where it is possible, better tools are preferable. It's possible to use a wedge and a 16 ounce hammer to split wood, but an 8 lb. sledge is preferable--and a hydraulic splitter is better still!

If we're talking about a firearm snagging when first being retrieved, and that split-second causes you to be the "loser" rather than the "winner," then something else major has broken down in our system. Has the bad guy made it to your bedroom without warning? What happened to the warning system? A firearm in the bedroom is not a comprehensive home security system, as we're all aware, so we need to seek a better system as a whole.

The other thing worth mentioning is that there is nothing for my 870 to snag on. If you're worried about the shotgun snagging in the closet, you ought to move the shotgun! I also keep at least one handgun on my nightstand, and my wife has another on her side of the bed. We have an alarm for anyone coming onto the property, and our dog does a pretty good job of letting us know when someone gets near the house. She's not aggressive, but she "announces" the presence of another person consistently--even somehow from a dead sleep! We have made additional preparations that I'm not going to share, but everyone should have a plan beyond the firearm lying next to the bed.

Happy planning! :)
    -CJ
  6. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

i revisit your question often from the home owners point of view and as a self-defense instructor. consider your location, training, guns currently owned and what your budget can afford to add. i am not in favor of lights attached to guns cause you will be lighting up what you are pointing at--that could be your toddler, a guest, anyone you ever gave a key to or a pet. train to direct the flash independent of the gun.
    it also means that you have only one hand to handle the gun with so a m1 carbine is my choice; 20 rounds each with the power of a 357. or i have my BHP good to go also.
    whatever you chose--train to clear your house. the longer you have lived in the house the better your body 'knows' the house. how many steps to turn a corner and where ever switch and the furniture is. train first with the lights on. when you have 'discovered' all the improbable stuff, practice with just the flash.
    good luck to ua
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011