45 acp handgun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by CTM, Sep 20, 2008.

1. CTM

CTM New Member

i am considering getting a 45 acp handgun. i have had 45s in the past but over time have sold them. i have a smith and wesson m&p now but dont really want the 45 version. what is the best as far as durability? i dont want another 1911 and i really like a decocker and a safety but it is not a must.i dont really care for glock either. the rugers look nice. what is everybodys opinion? i will have between 500 to 700 hundred to spend. thanks
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

Rather than throw brand names, and models at you, I'll simply suggest that you get our hands on as many pistols as you can. Before long, you'll run into a few that feel "just right". Pursue those. If you buy a "recommended" pistol, and it doesn't "feel right" in your hands, you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

Would you buy shoes because they feel good to someone else, without trying them on yourself ?

Just my 2 cents worth...... ;)
  3. dge479

dge479 New Member

I bought a Sig Saur P245. Its OK, but I wish I shopped around more. It seems to shoot low. I am no pro, but man it is way off, It does not have adj sights so now what?? I could sell it but then I need to find another, and in the peoples republic of NJ, that means waiting months for a freekin purchasing permit to get another. I may try a gunsmith ,but all this could have been avoide if I did what the previous guy said.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

dge,
    Have you tried different ammos (bullet weights)? Should make a diff in point of impact. I have read somewhere that fixed sight pistols are 'set up' to fire certain bullet weights (pre-sighted?). It'd be a shame to toss the sig when an ammo change might fix the problem.
  5. lead

lead Well-Known Member

As Jay said, look around, get a good idea how a gun feels in your hands, be patient.
    Do you have a range that rents guns near you? It would be nice to be able to rent a few and see how they shoot.
    I've had good luck with S&W(a 645 and a 4566), a Ruger P90, and a Bersa Thunder45.
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Next year the new XDm in 45 ACP is suppose to be released. If it is anything like the XDm in 40 S&W it will be a great 45 ACP. Try as many handguns as you can and shoot them if possible and make your decision off that.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

Ditto everything in the above quote.

Art
  8. dge479

dge479 New Member

I will look into it, maybe I wil contact them to see what it was pre sighted with. i may bring it to a gunsmith too if I need to. i like the gun a lot and want to make it right, whethter it is me the gun or the ammo.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

DWARREN,

I can't wait for the XDm in .45 to be available. I have already placed an order for one with my local candy shop.
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

They're having one in .45? I've only seen the .40 model on SA's website.
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

You mentioned durability. I'm pretty sure all H&Ks are rated to 20,000 rounds without a cleaning. Something like that. They are criticized frequently for being too focused on the military market- that has its upsides. A used USP in .45 may be had for the $700- range.
  12. stetson

stetson New Member

Every collection should have one 1911.
  13. patrol

patrol New Member

Sounds like you have eliminated some of the best choices by saying you don't want a 1911 so Im gonna reccomend you go with a Sig P220. They are great pistols and simple.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i cant see why anybody would want anything but a 1911. im a huge .45 fan, and the only other .45s i own are either single action or rifles...
  15. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

You may have to spend a wee bit more, but under your parameters, I'd recommend the HK45c (variable1: decocker and safety)