.45 ACP Kimber Stainless TLE II - Range Report

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by mesinge2, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I asked you guys a while back about which stainless 1911 I should get (http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=86555) and I got great help from everyone. Well, I ordered the Dan Wesson and when I went to pick it up there was a series of large circular gouges in the right side of the slide. The culprit was the grip screw. It was apparently loose in the box and wedged between the slide and the box and rubbing the whole time. Well, I sent it back and then the store owner (a good friend) said wait up I just got something in you might like instead. And he took out a Kimber Stainless TLE II; its the same as the custom stainless II but comes with grip strap checkering and night sights. The first thing I did it to replace the Mag with a Wilson Combat and the grips with double diamond Walnut.

Rubber grips on a $1000 gun, for shame!

Here she is:

My .45 ACP Kimber Custom Stainless TLE II   2 small.jpg

I finally got to the range on Thursday and I put exactly 372 rounds through it in a few hours. I have went through 4 fifty round boxes of 230gr. Magtech FMJ and 2 fifty round boxes of 230gr. Federal FMJ. Finally I went through 72 rounds (8 mags loaded 8+1 each) of my carry load 230gr. Hordady TAP +P to test for relaibility after I went through all of the FMJs.

IT NEVER JAMMED!!
    No problems at all

Here is the last target of the Hornady TAP +P load at 17 yards:

Groups (3).jpg

Thanks for the help everyone!! :)
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

It's a Kimber, what did you expect !!!! :D

Now, try it at 25 and 50 yards. You won't be dissapointed. Most folks who bad mouth a Kimber have never owned one. My Kimber Custom Target will group ALMOST as well as my Les Baer Premier II at 50 yards with my reloads. And it has sent many thousands of rounds down range.

Enjoy your new toy, feed it well and often. :)
  3. garydude

garydude Member

Congrats Mesinge2,
    She's a beauty no doubt. Thanks for the range report. Nice shooting'!
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Bellissimo.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

I just purchased 2 new handguns in the last month; the Springfield Range Officer and the new Kimber SOLO. You have me drooling for more but in order to keep peace in this 41 year marriage i might forgo for awhile.

Beautiful handgun and I am very partial to Kimbers.

I totally agree with Shooter as to the naysayers of Kimber. It's just another form of "penis envy" .
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Great gun, there, mesinge. I love the Kimbers. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the range report. Good Shootin! Feed it often.
  7. RJay

RJay Active Member

There are those who have problems with their Kimber's, I have had mine from the first year they came out, never a hiccup nor a stutter. I was was surprised at its accuracy. I had been told and read that they were very accurate, however I found that it was the most accurate, 1911 type firearm I have ever used, bar none. You would be hard pressed to relieved me of it, despite the fact that my youngest has already marked it as his own.
  8. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Thanks everybody

AND...

Oooh, post a review of your Range Officer. I have been thinking about one of those myself. You can never have too many 1911s.