.45 ACP load for IDPA

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gunfyter, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

How about some input as to your favorite load for IDPA. I'm currently loading a Winchester 230 gr MC over 5.5 gr of 231. Do any of you use cast bullets? Quite a bit cheaper, but I'd like to hear what you think.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I shoot alot of cast bullets. A good load is 5.2 gr. Win 231 under a 200 gr. LSWC .
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I use cast bullets (from wheelweights) for all my shooting (except for CC).

For plinking and paper punching, a 200 gr. SWC, 3.7 gr. of Bullseye.

For bowling pins, a 250 gr. Keith-type (made for .45 (Long) Colt....sized to .451), 6.1 gr. of Unique. The big square-nosed Keith-type bullet required some modification to the feedramp to feed reliably, but once I got that taken care of, that big ol' sucker would really bounce those pins!

For IDPA I loaded duplicate factory (or military) load. A 230 gr. RN (for sure feeding), 6.0 gr. of Unique. It's strong enough to meet the "full powered load" criterion, yet not so powerful that you have a long "recoil recovery" time.

As you can see, I much prefer the "big and slow" over the "light and fast". It's easier on me, easier on the pistol, gives a much more benign recoil, and a much faster recovery time.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I also use the HandG 68 200 grain LSWC cast from wheel weights. I load up 5.3 grains of WW231 with WW LP primers.
    I have a 4 cavity Lyman mold for them and size to .452. My barrel, Ed Brown match, slugs out at .4515. Shoots like a dream.

Hey X, what did you have to do to the feed ramp to feed the Keith type 250's. I have another 4 cavity that spits out 255grain GC Keith type also, for my 45 Colt and have never tried it in my auto. Right now, my feed ramp is polished to where I can feed empty cases without problems.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2003
  5. Xracer

If you can feed an empty case, you should be able to feed one of those big square-nosed Keith types.

I polished the feedramp well and then carefully ground and polished down the small step at the rear of the chamber until there was an absolutely smooth transition from the feedramp into the chamber when the barrel was in the "feed" position.
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Thanks Xracer. I looked at my ramp and it sounds like they are the same. Do you increase the spring weight when you shoot those? Also have some 300 grain GC that I might try also, but I'm worried that these may go too deep into the case. Will load a dummy and see how far she needs to be seated. What's your OAL on the 255?

Thanks
  7. Xracer

I think my spring is about 18 lbs.....it's just a tad heavier than a stock Colt spring, but will still cycle GI ball ammo. This isn't really a hot load. It's big and slow and does a nice job on bowling pins.

I go for an OAL of about 1.17"

BUT......different guns differ (obviously). I started at about 5.8 gr. and worked up to about around 6.4 and then settled on 6.1 as having the best accuracy for my particular gun.
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Thank for the info Xracer, gonna have to give it a try. I have a couple of wolf springs laying around.
  9. rayra

rayra New Member

same-same. and occasionally lead Truncated Cone as well.
  10. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

OK GUYS

I made the switch to the 200gr SWC last night. The only thing I did was lower the powder charge to 5.2gr of W231. I left the bullet seating and crimp stages where they were. After the crimp, the case mouth is flush with the top of the shoulder of the slug. Is this good or should I pull the slug out a little bit? Also, should I expect any feed problems?
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I usually leave 1/16" of lead outside the mouth, this makes it easier to slide into the chamber. It cushions the round also.
  12. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

I wondered about that, so that's why I asked. Just seemed to be better to leave the slug out a bit and get a tighter crimp as well. Thanks