.45 ACP load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Telcotech, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Out to the range last wkend w/ a friend. We both brought everything from .22 rimfire rifles and handguns to big bore handguns.We had a blast!! While we were target shooting our .45 ACP 1911's we got to talking about what loads we were shooting (all handloads). He had two boxes of 50 that he had marked 200 grn SWC, 5.2 grns HI-SCOR 700X. They seemed just fine and his accuracy was on par w/ what we were shooting at, recoil wasn't harcsh.We were shooting from 35 yrds at 10" handmade circular cardboard targets. Anyway....after returning home I decided to look up this load,since I have not shot or loaded anything w/ 700X, and what I found was in my Speer manual from 1991 that stated something like 4.2(start) - 4.9 grns(max) of 700X w/ a 200 grn SWC load data. My friend is gone this week for the holidays, so didn't have a chance to talk to him. But, unless he goofed on the load description, he was shooting too hot a load for me!! Could one of you guys look into maybe one of your manuals and see what it has for the .45 ACP 200 grn SWC, just in case my data is not up to date.....my Lyman man. doesn't even list 700X for .45 ACP,or referance me to a site for newer info??
    thanks.....

TT
  2. res45

res45 New Member

Reloading data from a 1991 manual will be different for reloading data in todays newer manual even with the same powder name,which basically is just a name and burn rate given a powder tested in a lab and selected to sell to the public form a large lot of powder purchased from the supplier by the powder Co.

Most of the powders in reloading manual of the 90's aren't even made by the same powder Co. anymore. Also each reloading manual uses different type of equipment to test there load data with.

I don't use old reloading manuals with new powder unless the powder is from that era which I do have some of the older IMR stick powders I use with my old Lyman and Hornady manuals data when I bought that powder.

Lyman #49 45 ACP 200 gr. SWC 700X Start 4.4 MV 676 MAX 5.5 MV 884
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

5.2 gr. of 700X is a safe load for a .45 Auto when loaded with a 200 gr. lead bullet

You tried it, and found it not too hot and shot OK? I consider that proof enough that the load is good.
  4. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Thanks for the info res45 and Oneida Steve. I'm going to have to pick up a new Speer manual and also a Lyman while I'm at it. Things do chg. with time and its apparent I need to replace my older reloading manuals.
    Thanks again, have fun and be safe out there!!

TT
  5. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

also of note--

same weight from different molds will have different max/min loads.
    it may be a difference in diameter or how much of the bullet engages the lands
    or its hardness.
    what res45 says is why i keep my old manuals even after i run out of 'that' lot of powder.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

+1