.45 acp moon clips and demooner tool

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/5/02 10:12:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .45 acp moon clips and demooner tool
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, I looked in my GI ammo box of .45 acp cartridges and decided I've got to start shooting more of this stuff, as it is gathering dust this winter...which ain't over yet here in Wisconsin.

I've ordered the .45 acp full moon clips and demooner tool from Dillon Precision Inc. The demooner tool is a device that quickly ejects the spent cartridges from the full moon clips, roughly looks like a pair of pliers only made of some tough plastic.

The 10 pak full moon clips are only $9.80, and the demooner tool is $16.95 plus S&H.

As soon as the gun ranges thaw out in this area I will conduct shooting test to see how good these full moon clips are in the old S&W model 1917 revolver. I normally shoot .45 auto rim brass in this revolver, but want to use up some excess .45 acp ammo I've got in storage.

Will let you know how good these moon clips are at a future posting.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 4/5/02 10:15:59 am

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/5/02 10:47:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .45 acp moon clips and demooner tool
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good deal GG... but I have to admit, when I read "Demooner Tool", I was sure it had something to do with Bob and his dreadlocks

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/5/02 1:21:21 pm)
    NO! Bob can't borrow my demooner tool ejecting his smelly dreadlocks, or clipping his dog and his toe nails.

GG

Edited by: AGunguy at: 4/5/02 1:35:34 pm

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/6/02 10:28:13 am)
    I've used half-moon clips for years. Half-mooners are especially appropriate when shooting with some of my half-a**ed shooter friends.

Being a tight-wad Yankee, I made a pair of de-mooner pliers by grinding down a pair of old needle nosed pliers. They work fine.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/6/02 12:50:26 pm)
    xracer, have you got a drawing or picture of you home made demooner tool. I would be interested what it looks like.

Gunguy

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/8/02 10:27:57 pm)
    OK, its the 8th of April and the 10 pak full moon clips for the .45 acp have arrived...as well as the demooner tool.

10 clips give you sixty rounds ready to insert quickly into your .45 acp revolver. And boy are they slick to load, every bit as good as speed loaders.

Loading up the clips with live cartridges is no easy chore, sometimes you have to tap them on with a small plastic mallet, but some can be pushed on with the thumb.

The demooner tool is really a necessary piece of equipment, the brass is very tight in the full moon clips but the demooner tool flips them out one at a time as fast as you can rotate the clip.

I highly recommend anyone purchasing these goodies.

Gunguy

SW Man
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/10/02 12:26:46 am)
    I shot nothing but 45ACP from my 1917's for some time till I got some AutoRim brass to load. They work great with full moon clips. I have about 50 clips around. I acquired a shell remover for the moon clips years ago, but it removes the cases one at a time, not all at once like I believe the Dillon tool does.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/10/02 7:36:04 am)
    Hi, SWman.

I too use the .45 AR brass, have about 200 rounds of the stuff and it is good with its thick rims for ejecting empties.

But I wanted to be able to shoot up some of that stock pile of .45 acp loads I've had for ages. The full moon clips do that nicely. 10 full moon clips give you 60 rounds of ammo.

Sorry to report the Dillon demooner tool does not eject all six pieces of brass at the same time, it does one at a time as you rotate the moon clip on the tool and squeeze the handles.

Gunguy

SW Man
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/14/02 10:48:34 pm)
    I guess the only advantage to the Dillon tool over the ones I got is the size of the Dillon makes them harder to loose. The ones I have are a curved piece of metal with a tap that fits in and pops out the cases one at a time. Dillon alos has an advantage if you can just rotate the clip. Also easier to just squeeze the handle.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/16/02 7:40:41 pm)
    eeeyep! That's about the size of it, works pretty good for me.

I just brought home a like new S&W 73 or 74 Model 1955 TGT .45 acp with 6.5 inch barrel. Paid out some major denario but it was worth it. Takes the full moon clips or the .45 auto rim cartridges.

Now I've got three hand guns that shoot .45 acp, ought to keep me busy loading for these babies.

GG