.45 ACP OAL

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by downfall, Dec 18, 2010.

1. downfall

downfall New Member

NewB here, I am loading hornady 230Grn, RN and the Hornady Book says 1.30 oal. I got is to 1.28 oal. Is this an acceptable variation? ie safe to shoot?

Thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The Hornady listing is merely a recommendation. As long as youre practicing safe and proper reloading techniques the .45ACP can be safely used with a COAL between 1.190" and 1.275" I recommend following hornadys recommendation as you are using their bullets. That said 1.28 is only .002" shy of 1.30 and you wont notice a difference...;)
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Hornady's OAL is shorter than most other data, if you find that your 1.28-1.30 OAL doesn't feed and function properly, increase tthe OAL a little at a time until they cycle. Going longer is safer and in many pistols longer feeds better.
  4. noylj

noylj Member

Reloading manuals show the MINIMUM recommended COL (OAL). However, 1.275" is the maximum COL for the .45ACP.
    You should aim for the longest COL that fits your magazines and feeds and chambers in your gun, but I usually have a COL of 1.265" for FMJ rounds.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    ARE YOU GETTING THIS LENGTH AFTER RESIZING OR B-4.ALWAYS GO BY THE BOOK AS FAR AS MIN OAL AND MAX OAL MEASURE AFTER RESIZING ONLY OLD SEMPERFI
  6. hakasaw

hakasaw New Member

Does OAL have any effect on pressures ?
  7. downfall

downfall New Member

I made the measurement after building the bullet, decap\resize, prime\ Bell case mouth\throw powder and seat bullet.
  8. downfall

downfall New Member

btw...which manuals do you use? obviously I am using the Hornady manual but I would like to find something more agnostic so I can use the less expensive second tier bullets.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you can use less expensive bullets with the hornady data, you must always remember in doing so to start over with your load development process. thats whay they provide you a starting point and a max point. plus you should get a chrony so you can match you results with the manuals, that will give you an idea of the pressures a different bullet generate with a given powder charge...
  10. noylj

noylj Member

I would like to know exactly what COL you have and what exactly the Hornady book specifies. As I said, 1.275" is max COL for any .45ACP and 1.265" is typical for 230gn RN.
    If you are at 1.280", then the round is not likely to fit the magazine or the chamber. I can not see Hornady specifying 1.300" for ANY .45ACP round.
    Have you "plunk" tested the round in the gun's barrel.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

holy smokes i just noticed that, I was thinkin a full decimal off. Anything longer than 1.275" wont work in the magazine of a .45ACP, Hornady 7th recommends 1.230 with their 230 gr ball projectiles.
  12. downfall

downfall New Member

right, the Hornady manual specs 1.230 for their 230grn RN bullets, so in your experience, which I guarantee is a whole lot more than mine, is 1.28 ok, or should I pull the bullet and give it another shot?
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you are a bit long, why not, instead of pulling, just adjust your diea tad shorter and run them through again at the correct oal?
  14. downfall

downfall New Member

I like your signature gunclinger, I am running a little short book says 1.30 and I am at 1.28 so I am trying to determine if that is acceptable from folks who have more experience than me.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

1.280 is too long. 1.275 is the SAAMI max for the .45ACP, 1.230 is hornadys recommendation, so anywhere between 1.235 and 1.225 is an acceptable place to start... so yes, you need to seat the bullets in the 1.280s down a little...