.45 ACP primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Squeak, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Squeak

Squeak Member

I just started reloading some .45 ACP brass (range pickup cheap stuff). I've learned from this forum that there is such a thing as large & small primers for this caliber brass. I never gave it much thought until last night when I was priming some brass & ran accross some of this "small primer" stuff.
    What I'd like to know is WHY do they make two diffrent size primers for the same caliber cartrige & try to screw up perfectly nice guys like me?
    I noticed that all the small primer brass was Federal brand, but I also had some Federal brand that took the large primer. What gives?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The SP's are 99% being loaded into the "Green" ammo. ( Federal makes both, so hence the difference. the SP Federal may be stamped with NT on the headstamp) Not sure which pea brain decided upon this choice, but it sure is a PITA.
  3. mikld

mikld Active Member

I guess they just don't like you! (JK!). I've read the small primed 45 ACP rounds are all "green" or "non-toxic". I believe the flash holes are larger too, and small primers were thought to be able to handle the extra back pressure of a larger flash hole. Sounded OK at the time but now that I write it, it kind sounds fishy. I don't have any probs. with small primed brass 'cause I inspect all my brass when I get it (I but once fired brass 500 at a time and get some small primed brass mixed in)...
  4. smlranger

smlranger New Member

There is a great article entitled 'How Green is My Primer' on page 28 of the October 2011 issue of Handloader. Explains it very well.

I bought a bunch of Federal 45 ammo when it was on sale at my local Gander Mt. and I've reloaded it with SP primers without any issues. I've got some Starline brass that uses large primers and I just keep them sorted.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR WAR WIN NT.

I HATE winchester NT's as much as I hate my exwife. If I could I would wipe both from the face of the planet.

Every time I find on I cull it and SMASH it with a 28oz framing hammer with a checkered face. Then I throw them in the trash. Why don't I save them? Because I am not buying small pistol and large pistol to load the exact same ammo as I currently only load for 45acp in pistols.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I cull em and toss em in the scrap box under my desk. Its almost full now with old worn out brass, spent primers and culled cases.. I do dig them out form time to time to assemble dummies..
  7. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Ya know there was a time when 38 special was a large primer case. Just sayin.... Better get used to seeing more. In the future there will be threads on how old are these acp cases with large primers?
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. the .38-44 was a LPP case loaded hot with AP bullets for piercing car doors