%$^$&& .45 ACP Small Primer Pockets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bobpayne44, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

Loaded 200 Rounds of differnet loads for .45 ACP tonight and out of 225 or so Cases 25 of them had small primer pockets

its not easy to push a large primer into one of those small holes but i tried a few times lol Then i decided to go through the 1500 cases i have and sort the small ones out, primers cost to much to be wasting them that way Ha Ha

headed to maggie Vally & Bryson city in the am on a motorcycle trip for the weekend so looks like it will be next weekend before i can try my new 45 loads. :(
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah them small pocket .45s are just a PITA.

They work great if thats all you got, but they suck if you have a few tossed in with a bunch of normal cases..
  3. skyfire1

skyfire1 New Member

Yes they are a pain to sort out. Saying that if you have enough of them to make it worth your while they do shoot well. I just started loading them with good results.
  4. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Been there, done it, cussed it...:mad:
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

This is the problem with using range brass. Who knows why it was left behind? Was it because the user was too lazy to pick it up, or didn't reload, or left it there because the cases were beyond further use?

I recently picked up some commercial 30-06 brass at the range of unknown origin and after one more reloading they started to body split. That's the last time I'll do that. It will either be buddies know once fired brass or I'll bite the bullet, so to speak, and buy new brass. Brass that I bought new and have reloaded multiple times has a history with me and that is only what I'll use. Every few years I rediscover this rule but somewhere along the line I forget it and end up with unknown range brass that causes problems. Is it the memory that is is the first to go with old age... I forget.

LDBennett
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Ditto!!!
  7. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Nobody reloads aluminum cases, and I found a bunch in a bag that a friend dropped off. They were aluminum AND had a small primer pocket, double reason to chuck them in the scrap bin.

I have about 100 small primer brass that I am keeping for a friend, if he doesn't come by soon, they go in the bin too.
  8. skyfire1

skyfire1 New Member

ouch, that is also my fear. Wife thinks I over react beacuse I inspect and reinspect all my brass just for that reason.
  9. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

this was brass i had delivered to me after our last swat school we hosted.

all ammo used in swat school was new so all brass i have is once fired, they shot about 20,000 rounds of a mixture of .223 (which sucked as it was mostly all steel case ) alot of .40 and 9 and boat loads of .45 ACP as our ump's really spit those out when we go full auto.

thats when it is nice to work for a Sheriff's office and after all our live fires the next day the inmate work crews go out and pick up all the brass and other case's they had been throwing it all away now they bring it to me I sort what i want out and pass it on to a few others that reload.
  10. dammitman

dammitman Member

when i reload the small primer 45's i make sure that those are the ones i take to the woods to shoot,,,,,,along with any aluminum cases,,,,,,,
  11. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

Those are the new "Green" brass. I'm sure Al Gore uses them when he goes to the range....
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Take a magnet to the pile and scrap all that sticks. then there wont be so much to sort. and 20K is alot. prolly end up with a few hundred pounds or so of scrap.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

bobpayne44:

Now that is a good source of once fired brass! What is not is the stuff at the public ranges.

LDBennett