The Firearms Forum banner

.45 ACP Small Primer

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Bindernut 
#1 ·
I've been accumulating the .45 ACP small primer shells to the point where I can reload them to fill a 50 round box.

What's a good primer to use for them? Small caliber primer ok?

Do I need to adjust the powder charge? My old (1986) Hornady manual doesn't indicate the size of the primer used.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I talked to the tech at Blazer ammunition. Was told they are reloadable. I asked about using a magnum small pistol primer but they said no, regular primer. All my reloading data assumes the manufacturer used SAAMI specs, i.e. large primer. I have a few and haven't decided what to do with them.

#4 ·
If the brass takes small primers, it takes small primers.
Only difference is, you could load small magnum primers
in the same cavity. You would want your data to coincide
with what primer you used.

" Hornady manual doesn't indicate the size of the primer used."---BobMitchell
It very well should.
And YOU should read more....much more, then read some more.....to be safe.

#6 ·
Than?

Load them as you do any other .45ACP, just use a regular small pistol primer...

#10 ·
Small and Large refer to the size of the primer itself, not necessarily the cartridge it's used in.
I know a lot of guys still cuss em...myself included some days...but the small-primer .45 brass has been around long enough that I suspect it's here to stay. Once you've got a large enough stash, it's easy enough to keep em segregated from the large-primer brass.

But anyhoo...
As for which primer to use (magnum or standard)...use the same power level of small-primer as you would for large-primer brass loads.

It is wise to work up a separate load for the small-primer brass separate from the large-primer brass (especially if you're working with max or near-max loads), but my findings have been that the powder charge will work out the same regardless of what size primers your brass is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.