.45 ACP Tarnished Ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by neilin, Feb 13, 2010.

1. neilin

neilin New Member

I have a box of Winchester acp factory ammo about 10 years old where the brass of many of the cases has turned dark in a patchy kind of way while part of the brass case has remained shiny. The darkened areas feel rougher than the shiny areas. My question is would it be safe to tumble clean these cartridges?
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

After you shoot them first? Sure.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not recommending nor advising against tumbling loaded ammo, but I have tumbled thousands of loaded rounds with 0 problems. Thats how I get the alox off my cast boolits after I load them... I believe most of the major ammo companies tumble clean thier loaded ammo to make it nice and new looking...
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

DITTO what JLA said - I have also tumbled thousands of pieces of loaded ammo without any problems. I have bought a lot of surplus ammo through the years and quite a lot of it was tarnished when I got it!
  5. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I would only be leery of you wanted to tumble ammo with nice sharp pointy tips. Not a problem with .45 ACP.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have tumbled rifle cartridges as well, nice sharp pointy tips and all...;)
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And if you have a problem with tumbling live ammo, go to the range and shoot them off, go home and clean your weapon and then tumble clean your dirty brass.
    I was also wondering if you can tumble live ammo, so with the replies to your query, I feel comfortable with trying it as I hate for my ammo to not shine!
  8. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

long time tumbling of loaded rounds could alter the burning rate of the powder ie. break down the grandules causing it to burn faster.
  9. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I actually tried that. I loaded up various rifle cartridges with various powders. I was concerned mostly with the stick powders. I tumbled a handfull of rounds at a time for 3 days straight! I then pulled bullets and compared the powders to what was still in the cans. If the powders got altered at all, I sure couldn't see any difference. So, I reloaded them just as I had and went to shoot them. They grouped fine, right along with the rounds that hadn't been tumbled. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I found no concerns. The powders that were "tested" were IMR 4064. IMR 4895, Win 748, Varget, and H-380. So, I will continue to tumble ammo anytime I see the need.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Same tests done here as well Bnty, I too at first was concerned by the 'risks' of tumbling loaded ammo, so I set out to find out for myself. I too found no difference between tumbled ammo and un tumbled ammo, all else being equal. Tumbled ammo is just so much prettier...