45 acp with small pistol primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 312shooter, Feb 4, 2010.

1. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Just started some 45 loading for a new 1911, stumbling across some brass with SP primers I was thinking about trying a load with SP magnum primers and a start charge. Has anyone tried this? I will be working up a recipe with unique and/or bullseye, 200gr plated bullets, and cci magnum SP primers.
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have never seen any 45 ACP case that would accept a small pistol primer, but then again I don't profess to say I have seen everything either. I have used magnum primers when I have been out of standard ones when using Unique but not Bullseye, not to say I wouldn't. I have not used standard primers nor would I when loading with the much slower powders like 2400, H110, or W296.

Reading between the lines I think your thinking is that because they are small primers would SP magnum make up or be equal to standard large pistol primers? It is my understanding, though perhaps not correct, that both standard and magnum primers have the same amount of fuel but that the magnum primer is a bit different fuel that burns at a higher temperature.

Ron

Ron
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Is the brass you picked up Winchester? I think they use small primers in their "WinClean" ammo. Look for a "NT" stamp on the head. If so,it is a non toxic primer. You might also notice the inside of the case is very clean and shiny for spent ammo.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

If they are NT headstamped Win brass...
    Also beware that the brass has a larger flash hole than standard. I presume it's because the non-toxic primer formula might be a little cooler burning than regular primers so it needs a larger flame port into the casing.

if this is the case, watch out for using max or near-max loads in that brass. The theory is that with the larger flash hole you might have more primer flattening or even ruptures with high pressure loads.

Some guys just say to scrap em, but I've used NT .45ACP brass for regular cast lead range loads using standard small primers and WW231/HP38 with no problems. I do keep them segregated from my regular brass though...makes it easier to sort out come reloading time.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    From Winchester.

Attached Files:

6. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Very good post Carver.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!:D
  8. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

There is another 45 case that uses the small primer....I just through them away. Is it cci or speer? I can not recall for sure. I found it in some used brass I bought recently.

J
  9. carver

carver Moderator

Remington also makes politically correct ammo, vis-à-vis, clean small pistol primers.
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I'd toss them out.

Thanks Carver I remembered that they existed but forgot why.
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Thanks for the input guys, here's an example of what I found. These little sheisters really foul up things, after going through several hundred pieces of brass I discovered there were over a hundred mixed in. It becomes tricky after awhile picking them out of the crowd. This was a great lesson for me as I just recently aquired a 1911 and started loading 45acp. Federal,Winchester,Speer and Remington now produce SP primed 45's. Reloading always has its curveballs......doesn't it?

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got some, They are too much of a hassle to pick through and prime separately so i use them to load dummy rounds for action proving... Now if I had about 500 of them id reload them and shoot them... nuttn wrong with them for reloading, flash holes are a little big, but theyd work ok for range loads id wager...
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Another one that can get you is the 7.62x39; it too can have two different primers in factory loads. Not many people reload this round, but if you do decide to; make sure you check!
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah, 7.62X39 remington brass has small rifle holes and winchester has large rifle holes. WTF, they tryin to make me pop a primer;)
  15. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

:D:D:D Lets just say that it's a good thing that I'm pretty gentle and when feeling anything abnormal while primining; I stop first, take a look at everything and then proceed! Trying to force a lrp into a srp hole just doesn't work too well. :D:D:D