.45 ACP...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcp123, Feb 13, 2006.

1. jcp123

jcp123 New Member

I've always avoided Colts (and Rugers and Marlins, except for the one we already owned), among others because they are Connecticut-based companies (long story). And, I've also since avoided the .45 ACP because...well, ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol = Colt = Connecticut. But I was reading my reloading manual the other day, and it mentioned that John Browning actually came up with the .45 Auto, and that got me to thinking...does Colt have any kind of copyright on the .45 Auto/ACP cartridge? I hope not, I want to like it again...
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Don't forget no High Standards either : :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Too bad you missed out a lot in your life over the years. The Colt 1911 and all copies including the .45ACP round were designed by John M. Browning, not Colt. Colt just bought the patent.
  4. jcp123

jcp123 New Member

So, does Colt get any kind of royalties or other license revenue from it? I'm not sure how the money flow goes with regards to this. I hope they don't, I'll be the first to jump back on the .45 bandwagon...
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Royalties were paid by Colt, they did not get them. Patent rights only extend for 25 years, but JMB sold them to Colt. Colt was therefore able to produce the pistol. Since you peeked my curiosity, why are you so anal about Connecticut?
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

BUT........the first batches of .45ACP were made by Winchester....another Connecticut company.

AND.....let's not forget Smith & Wesson, which started in Norwich, Connecticut.

And I suppose you refuse to watch NCAA basketball, because UConn is ranked #1. :D

HOWEVER.....congratulations on spelling Connecticut correctly.....not an easy thing to do. :)
  7. flopshot

flopshot New Member

man ! i've never been ticked off at a state ! except kaliforneeeeah. good thing Glocks don't come from the left coast.
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Good thing I respect my elders, even though they are swabbies! :D :D :D :D :D
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I'm chuckling over this one, waiting for the reply...about "Connecticut" (SEE? Third place in the Erie County Spelling Bee in the 6th grade!!!) :cool:

It kind of reminds me when I told my buddy at work that I'm kind of stupid for boycotting Gillette for all these years for sponsoring "The Guns of Autumn" hatchet job on hunting that was on TV when I was in high school in the 70s, and he said that he was boycotting Citgo Gas Stations...

I asked him for what and he said "I can't really remember, but it had SOMETHING to do with guns... :D "

And JMB and the .45 "Automatic" (which is what JMB called it) REALLY should be considered a Utah/Mormon thing....