45 Auto/ 45ACP

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Silverfoxsequim, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Silverfoxsequim

Silverfoxsequim New Member

I'm fairly new to 45 cal since I have had Glocks for years in 9mm. I recently got a new Sig 1911 in 45 auto. I see all the commercials around for other 1911s in 45ACP. Is ACP the preferred cartridge? As far as I can tell the brass is built a little different but that's it. Just wondering out loud. :)
    Thanks.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The .45 acp round uses a rimless case. Thats why the round looks different.
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol, as opposed to .45 long colt.
  4. Silverfoxsequim

Thanks guys. Is the ACP the "preferred" cartridge now a days? Doesn't make a bit of diffence, but just curious. Inquiring minds, and all that.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I guess that would depend on who you are asking... A lot of guys love the Long Colt, it is a cartridge that is designed for a wheel gun. The .45ACP is mostly used in automatics but has been adapted for use in some wheel guns as well. I like the ACP

The bullet diameter is the same....

Crpdeth
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

45 ACP seems to be the favorite for the 1911 Platform but they are also available in 38 'Super' and 9mm. (9x19)
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

45 Auto and .45ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) are the same cartridge. Just different names for the same thing.

And, yes.....the 45 Auto/ACP has been a proven, superior, "manstopper" for more than 100 years.

It was first developed for the John Browning designed Colt Model 1905 Auto Pistol and was adopted by the U.S. Military along with the Colt Model 1911.
  8. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I'm a bit confused. The ".45 Auto" and ".45 ACP" are the same cartridge. Are you talking about the .45 GAP (Glock Auto Pistol) compared to the .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) cartridges? Both of these are used in auto pistols.

The .45 GAP is a shortened version of the venerable .45 ACP. I think Glock is the only company chambering a gun for the GAP. From what I hear, the .45 GAP has not been the success that Glock hoped for.

I personally would not buy a gun chambered for the .45 GAP. I don't think that round has much of a future. (Remember the 10mm auto?) The century-old .45 ACP seems a better choice.
  9. There is also a cartridge known as the .45 Auto Rim, same as the .45 ACP but with a rim, and originally designed to work in a double action revolver. Those are very rarely seen today.
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Auto and ACP is the same thing and is just that "Auto" is easier the say then ACP with most people. The 45 is a excellent round, stops, or at least knocks down, most people not wearing armor over level II. Drunkards and crack/pot heads may take two...sometimes. However, it works far better then 9mm, mainly because it'd take between 3 rounds to an entire clip to stop a Drunkard and/or a crack/pot head.
  11. Jay

Jay New Member

One shot stops are hollywood myths.

Complete article.........

FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin... Oct 2004

CONCLUSION

Just as in the days of the American Old West when only the peace officers' superb gun-handling abilities stood between them and the violent outlaws of their time, today's law enforcement professionals still must rely on their firearm skills to protect their communities from similar lawlessness. Employing deadly force against another human being is not an easy choice, nor should it be. However, when an individual is intent on causing grave bodily injury, even death, to officers sworn to uphold this nation's laws, those officers must react responsibly and quickly to protect their communities and to avoid the loss of innocent lives, as well as their own.

The perpetuation of the one-shot drop by movies and television programs has no place in the real world of violent criminals bent on their destructive missions. Officers must realize that they have to continually hone their survival skills, always expect the unexpected, and never give up; they must protect themselves to protect their communities.
  12. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

Very good article.
  13. 909RAI

909RAI New Member

owning a 45 is a must where i live at because all the waterheads or in other terms pcp smokers. i have seen with my own eyes a waterhead take a whole california clip of 9mm and was still walking for about 30 seconds you should of seen the store owners face:eek:
  14. Silverfoxsequim

Oneida Steve, I wasn't talking about the GAP cartridge..forgot it even existed. My post was to find out if more 1911s use ACP or AUTO. ACP rounds won't fit my new 1911 so I'm curious if the ACP is the more popular round. Like I said, it doesn't make a bit of difference, I'm just trying to stay educated, as hard as that can be for me sometimes. :)
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The .45 "Auto" and .45 ACP are the same round unless you are talking about the .45 "Auto Rim". The .45 ACP stands for "Automatic Colt Pistol" and most people shorten it to .45 Auto! Hope this helps. Does the round that you say doesn't fit the chamber have a rim or is it rimless? The .45 Auto and ACP do not have a rim. The .45 Auto Rim has a rim.

IPT
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  16. Silverfoxsequim

Yep, my mistake. I was a 45 auto rim I was looking at. Don't even know how I got my hands on them. I guess they were left over from my late Father in laws stuff. Thanks for the replys. I am back on track.
  17. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Now I will add that in my S&W 625 I shoot booth 45 ACP & 45 AUTO RIM.
    The 45 ACP requires a moon clip for easy extration but the AUTO RIM will eject like a normal revolver . The great thing is I love the 45 Caliber and I love wheel guns so I have both loves in one. :D
  18. Ron, do you know if any of the ammo manufacturers still load for the .45 Auto Rim, preferably with hollow-point slugs, but hardball would do. I know that casings are still offered (by Remington, I think), but I'm not sure about the manufactured ammo.
  19. bmac1911

bmac1911 New Member

20. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

That stuff ain't cheap.