45 Auto Rim

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Duncan
    (3/1/02 9:46:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 45 Auto Rim
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone with any experience with 45 Auto Rim? Got a couple of S&W 1917s and "Moon Clips" are a pain right in the ....fingers!

Thinking of buying a Lee anniversary Kit and reloading for that (and other ie, 38 Long Colt, 32 s&w, 270. 8X57)

Any pointers:

Cheapest source for brass and dies?
    Any special considerations?

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/02 10:07:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 45 Auto Rim
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why not make a tool for removing the case from the moon clip. It would only cost a couple of bucks and a few minutes of your time.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/2/02 8:48:42 am)
    I've shot .45 AR a few times, but I prefer .45 ACP. Brass is readily available, and the half-moon clips act as speedloaders.

The only problem is taking the brass out of the clips, and I keep a pair of pliers in my pocket for that.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/2/02 9:22:21 am)
    Dillon sells a product made by Ranch Products.com, its like a pair of pliers that aid you removing the spent brass from the full moon clips.

They also sell the full moon clips.

DillonPrecision.com ...I think?

I too own a 1917 .45 acp, and shoot mostly .45 AR in it. It's one of my favorite guns...even though it looks like something the cat dragged in.

Gunguy

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/2/02 6:11:43 pm)
    A case removal tool is made by using a piece of tubing with abour a one half inch inside diameter about 4 or 5 inches long. To make start by marking a circle around one end anywhere from 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch from one end now cut off 270 degrees of it leaving a tab sticking out. This is the part that goes over the case with the tab going past the moon clip. to use slide it over the case and twist. the case will pop out easily. For a little extra leverage and a rod thru the other end like a chuck key for an electric drill.
    Use tubing that is fairly thick .040 or better.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.