.45 cal accuracy question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

BornToShoot
    (2/21/02 8:06:29 pm)
    Reply .45 cal accuracy question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a modified 1911 series 80 Colt. It has a Wilson barrel and compensator. Is anyone familiar with this barrel and how accurate is it at 25 yards and 50 yards? It was purchased as a kit and installed. Was Not accurized by a gunsmith.

What kind of group size may I expect out of this gun at 25 and 50 yards?

I won't be able to test it with a ransom rest for another three months.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/22/02 10:02:57 am)
    Reply Re: .45 cal accuracy question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only way you'll ever know is to shoot it!

Whenever I'm trying something new, I fire five groups of five rounds each.....seated, with a sandbag rest on a stable table.

My sandbag rest consists of 4 or 5 old winter socks stuffed with fine sand and tied off. Looks like hell, but it sure works!

If you don't put all your rounds thru the same hole, don't get discouraged! Try different brands and bullet weights (or different loads if you handload) until you find something your gun likes.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/22/02 10:25:42 am)
    Yep and WELCOME!!!

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/22/02 10:27:12 am)
    BorntoShoot, Welcome to The Firearms Forum

There's a lot of variables to your question, and I'm sure 1 of our resident Experts would be more than happy to indulge themselves.

Stay tuned

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/22/02 2:08:14 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: .45 cal accuracy question
    Being a Wilson barrel I would have to think you could expect
    about 3" groups from a rest. If it were a Match Grade barrel and installed by a gunsmith I would think you could drop it under 2" rested. Wilson's guns generally shoot under 1" guaranteed @ 25yds..
    -ACE

jbbooks
    (2/24/02 10:08:29 pm)
    Have you had the trigger tuned? How loose is your slide to frame? That's your biggest variable. The best barrell in the world isn't of much use if the slide to frame fit is sloppy.

BornToShoot
    (2/25/02 4:12:49 am)
    It had a trigger job put not sure who did it or just a kit.
    The slide to frame feels good but I don't have anything to compare it too. Is there a good way to bench it or test for accuracy? I can't get to a ransom rest for two more months. This is probably the best way to test.

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/02 8:52:27 am)
    Re: .45 cal accuracy question
    I must have had a senile moment. Another thought is to call
    the Wilson shop in Berryville. They are very helpful, at least when I've called. I sorry I can't find the phone but go to
    www.wilsoncombat.com and they will have it there.
    If you have some extra cash around they can do what ever needs to be done.
    -ACE

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/25/02 9:42:07 am)
    The best way to test accuracy is to shoot off a sandbag as Xracer said. If the barrel is fitted correctly ( proper link fit, comp bushing tight, barrel hood fit tight) the pistol should do around 2"-2.5" at 25 yds if this was a drop-in kit. Just shoot and measure the groups with different ammo. And practice. If you don't get the groups you expect, let someone with lots of pistol shooting experience test your pistol.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/02 10:06:11 am)
    In the Valtro info, I read where their out-of-box "tricked-out custom" 45's accuracy guarantee sub 3" @ 50yd.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/02 6:30:53 pm)
    can't give you an inch measurement, but I'm getting great accuracy out of my series 80, with a fitted wilson solid barrel bushing.

and,

Quote:

jbbooks said:
    Have you had the trigger tuned? How loose is your slide to frame? That's your biggest variable. The best barrell in the world isn't of much use if the slide to frame fit is sloppy.

Have to disagree. The Slide on mine is super-sloppy, rattles like crazy when you give the gun a shake - but I've got a snug barrel-bushing fit, and a good barrel link holding the barrel snugly in lock-up. It seems as long as the barrel is firmly fixed in relation to your sights, nothing else matters (much, anyway).
    I'll get the slide taken care of one of these days, but in the meantime, I'm hitting the targets at my IPSC matches just fine.