45 colt Cowboy barrel question?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by thomasray, Dec 5, 2009.

1. thomasray

thomasray Member

Well we got the barrel taken care of. Local smith will cut it to 3 1/2 inches and solder a haf-penny for a front sight.

Now somebody said that this wouldnt work for a personal weapon. May be the same guy who said my .380 Beretta wouldnt work either. I seeit thusly. These things are invariably over in a millisecond at the first shot. If it goes that far. The intimidation of a gun, any gun, much less a 45 must be sobering and frightening to most journrymen thugs.

You got a 25 round clip in you CS fat gripped 9mm and want to spray excitement all over a parking lot. I submit that 1 well placed bullet whether from a .380 or a 45 Colt will put a quitus on festivities. I have put out 2 or 3 rounds from a SA45 and hit a pie tin at 15 feet in a very responsive manner. I feel safe. Carry on.:)
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

What if anything are you going to do with your ejection rod and housing? On the gun pictured the end of the rod has been skeletonized so it will fit over/past the cylinder retaining pin allowing the ejection of the fired case.

Ron

Attached Files:

3. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

I can't say if I'm even going to hit center mass in a stressful situation with any caliber. I am a good shot though, in non-stress situations, and I carry a .40.
  4. thomasray

thomasray Member

Hi Mudober. I will look into the need to shorten the ext rod. Economics will govern. I got the Cowboy in a favorable trade. It is representative of a Colt although a purist do not like it. Everyone has valid ideas if they are the one walking down the dark alley.
  5. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Nice looking wheel gun there.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I see three options, for the ejector rod/housing.

First, and the easiest, is to just remove it. This, of course, limits you to 5 rounds, unless you carry a pencil or nail or something similar, to poke the empties out.

For the next two, instead of shortening the one that came on the Colt, buy a replacement rod and housing for a Cimarron Thunderer. That gun comes with a 3 1/2 inch barrel, and they have figgered out the geometry of having an ejector that works. But you still have the problem of installing it.

The housing screws into a threaded hole in the barrel wall. With Ruger, there is a large hole (maybe 1/4" diameter), with a threaded plug silver-soldered into the hole. I don't know why they do it that way, rather than just drilling and tapping a hole into the wall, but they do. I don't know if Colt does it that way or not.

If Colt does do it that way, it would probably be easier to remove the Colt barrel, cut it from the back end and rethread it to screw back into the frame. That way the hole and plug would already be there, and you would not have to change the front sight.

If Colt just drills and taps a hole in the barrel wall, then that's an easy fix.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I get the impression that Thomasray won't need more than 5 shots. After all, how often does one encounter six bad guys?

Jim
  8. thomasray

thomasray Member

A lot of good advice. What keeps putting 6 in if we remove the ext rod? I put 6 in this one.
  9. muddober

muddober Active Member

Thank you, it is a second generation made in 1957 and who ever did it was a master craftsman. The writing on top of the barrel is in two lines making it look factory but I am 90% sure it is not.

Ron
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think (not absolutely sure) that the Colt Cowboy has a transfer bar, and is safe loaded with six.
  11. 45nut

45nut Active Member

The Colt Cowboy has the ruger transfer bar and is safe with 6. I made an IWB for my Colt SAA and carry it now and then. Bob James did the work years ago. I don't feel outgunned with it at all.