45 Colt Loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jake, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Jake

Jake Member

I'm looking for a good .45 Colt load for target shooting and light hunting. Will be using an Uberti revolver so it cant be to woofy of a load. Any loads for red dot, green dot, blue dot, unique, universal, longshot, or clays? These are the powders that I use in my shotguns and hoped for a good .45 load. Using 250 grain Hornady HP/XTP. I've tried universal from 7 - 9.2 grains and all I can tell is that it gets louder and doesn't shoot much better. Any ideas?:(
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Jake:

Don't exceed loads listed for Colt single action army revolvers. While the Uberti may be made of better metals, it is not substantially stronger than an original Colt. Several manuals list various levels of loads for 45LC pistols so be aware that Ruger, Thompson Contender, and Freedom Arms guns can take much stronger loads than your mere Uberti SA clone (assuming that is what you are shooting???).

The latest Hodgdon Reloading manual I have includes two sections: one for regualr 45LC guns and the other hotter loads for the Rugers, T/C, and FA guns. They list loads behind the 250 gr XTP bullet for HS-6, Universal, HP-38 (same as Winchester 231), and Titegroup. The load you mentioned is really too hot at 9.2 grs of universal and they recommend only 8.5 grs Max.

My suggestion is buy the Hodgdon Reloading manual. Use a real handgun powder like W231 or HP38 (same powder, as far as I can tell), that will work well for virtually any other caliber pistol or revolver. The yearly free powder booklet available at your dealer may list other Hodgdon powders as well but keep those loads to the lower levels or you may be looking at a destroyed Uberti and a big hospital bill! And don't rely on loads developed by other shooters regardless their qualifications. Shoot only reloading industry tested and published loads for your specific gun. Experimentation could be costly and hurt.

LDBennett
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

7.5 gr. Unique and a 250 gr. lead SWC works for me.
  4. Jake

Jake Member

9.2 grains is a little stout but after about 100 - 150 rounds, I've had no problems other than poor accuracy, although this was one of the better loads at 15 yards.
  5. Jake

Jake Member

Hay O.S. what's the pressure for that load?
  6. RugerBob

RugerBob New Member

I use Unique at 7.7 grains and lately have been trying Trailboss at 5.5grs. The trailboss burns cleaner, good luck, Bob
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Jake, I can't say what the pressure is on the 7.5 Unique load, but it's mild-to-medium on the recoil.

I shoot a Colt Anaconda in .45 Colt. I don't worry much about pressure with a Colt Anaconda :)
  8. K. Mehaffey

K. Mehaffey New Member

I've had extremely good luck with 9.0grs of Hodgdens HS-6 under a 250gr. XTP ,CCI large pistol primer,wrapped in a Winchester case, I also use this same load with a 250 gr. LRNFP,Meisterbullet
  9. pls1911

pls1911 New Member

Other powders are good, but Unique is the most versitile powder available if you load many calibers.
    Today's Unique is cleaner than before.
    A charge of 8.0-8.5 (9.0 with a Ruger) with about any cast or jacketed bullet around
    250 graines will keep you healthy, and any furry target within reasonable distance of dead on the spot.
    Keep it simple...minimize the number of components in your closet.
  10. RandyP

RandyP Member

"Keep it simple...minimize the number of components in your closet."

Great advice to a rookie reloader like me.

It has not yet shipped, but my Widener's order for primers and powder has an 8# tub of Win 231 headed my way. I have just started reloading and my first powder purchase at Cabelas was a small container of HP-38 which per the good folks at Hodgdons is the exact same powder.

For all the calibers I am likely to reload, this seems to be a pretty good choice with ample load data available for the plated/jacketed bullets I can shoot at the local range (no bare lead load allowed). I really only need enough FPS to accurately punch a hole in a paper target at a max distance of 50' and so far HP-38 has done so admirably.
  11. muddober

muddober Active Member

Me too...
  12. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Hornady has there new 45 long colt leverlution ammo, I'm going to try as a load while hunting, not necessary for hunting, but as a much stiffer load for my Colt SAA, just in case I need it, it's recommended as hunting ammo, and they say this ammo is safe in all colt like SAA revolvers that can shoot smokeless powder and all lever actions that fire 45 long colt that can shoot smokeless powder, I don't think they sell the bullets alone, I'm not sure, I'll have to look into that, but for the cost of a box of these rounds it's worth it to me, I load for Cowboy action shooting, but I will insure my life with hornady.

tEN wOLVES :D
  13. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

they sell the bullets now. I bought some to feed my 454 casul but realized I will need a new seating plug for my lee die to keep from smashing the soft rubber tip. anybody know where to find one?
  14. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I believe LEE will make a custom seating plug for the bullet you want to use. On their website is a custom services page. They require you to send a bullet and they will machine a plug to match the bullet for you.
  15. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

thanks john