45 Colt Loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jake, Oct 10, 2007.

1. twobit

twobit Active Member

I'm using Speer deep curl bullets with Unique powder for carry/hunting loads. Also using lead round nose flat point and Traiboss for target loads.

This is in a Cimarron Uberti 5.5 " barrel 1873. I use data from Unique, Trailboss, and the Lee book. The Lee book differentiates between regular guns and the beefed up guns with stronger frames.
  2. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

My favorite loads for my Taylor/Uberti .45 Colt Smoke Wagon 4 3/4" barrel are:

7.5gns Unique under an Oregon Trail 250 RNFP

and

5.5gns Trail Boss under an Oregon Trail 250gn RNFP

For me, both of these loads shoot pretty much to point of aim at 25/30 feet.
  3. chasdog

chasdog New Member

I had loaded up some 250 gr cast flat points in my 45 lc with 5 gr of Clays powder and tried them today . They were nice mild loads and very accurate at 25 yds out of my Taurus Judge. Clays is nice because its cleaner than Unique.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sorry guys, I responded to the wrong post.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It often seems that the .45 Colt is the only cartridge ideally suited for Unique. The converse also seems true.
  6. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

i was actually just fixing to post a topic about this when I saw this topic already going. I just started reloading 45 colt and when I was looking at my Lee Load data, it said using Hogdon Univesal and a 250 grain bullet (which I'm using a 255 grain lead semi wad cutter) to not exceed 7.5 and then in my speer manual it said starting loads of 8.5grns to 9.2 grs with the same bullets and powder. I went with the speer and loaded some up at 9 grains, and shot a few today that seemed to do pretty good.

Its weird how 2 manuals can be so far apart. It also blows me away how little powder is actually in the case, quite a bit of extra room in there. I know its supposed to be a slower round with a slower burn, just blows my mind.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

44stevenson:

"It also blows me away how little powder is actually in the case"

45LC was originally a black powder cartridge. The power level of black powder cartridges was determined by the volume of powder in the case. Such cases were virtually filled to the top with black powder. When smokeless powder is used it is so much more efficient that a full case full of it would blow the gun up.

The bottom line is the case volume in 45LC is there because it needed it originally for black powder use. Today you have to be sure to use a non-position sensitive powder in those large cases or the variation in velocity will be all over the place. If you are not sure if your choice qualifies test the velocity by shooting over the chronograph by raising the gun from below for the first shot and then from high above your head and down to the point of aim for the second shot. Significant velocity differences will show up if your powder is position sensitive. I like to use Winchester 231 or its exact equivalent (same powder, different label) Hodgdon HP38.

LDBennett
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

ok LDBennett is TRAILBOSS powder consitered non-position sensitive?
  9. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

In answer to the question you asked LDBennett. I do not know this as a fact, but I have been using Trailboss a lot and I do not believe it is position sensitive. Trailboss is a lot bulkier than W231, taking up 2 or 3 times more space in the case. It is also a fast burning powder, just a hair slower than W231.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

hunter29180:

I have not run any test and only testing it will prove if any powder is position sensitive or not. Run the test yourself.

LDBennett
  11. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

That is the same load I use and it shoots very well in both of my Ruger Blackhawks and my Winchester 94.
  12. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

has anyone on here tried hogdon universal to see if it position sensitive?