.45 Colt Revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by neilin, Feb 12, 2010.

1. neilin

neilin New Member

If you were going to use the .45 Colt in your concealed carry gun, which revolver would you recommend?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I would go with the Ruger GP100 4" barrel comming in at about $500, or the Ruger Alaskan 2 1/2" barrel for around $800. Both guns are double action.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

GP100 is a 357.

Their Redhawk is available in 45, with a 4 1/8 inch barrel. MSRP is closer to 900 than 500.

If I was gonna use 45 Colt as my CCW, I'd look for a Smith Mountain Gun. But truthfully, if I got a Smith Mountain Gun, I'd get one in 45 ACP. Same power as the Colt, but a shorter case, so you get surer ejection, and moon clips allow much quicker reloads than any other type of speed loader.

Only reason that I can see, for choosing the Colt over the ACP, is that you are already a 45 Colt shooter, and don't want to have to buy another caliber ammo, or get setup to load another caliber.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Alaskan is a Super Redhawk frame. Unless you are one large feller, concealing something that big around will be difficult.
  5. Popeye

Popeye New Member

I do not believe I would choose a revolver chambered in .45 Colt as a concealed carry weapon due to the aforementioned size "problems".
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was wondering how you would conceal that big a revolver. I have a Redhawk .44 that I couldnt conceal in my truck! Even my SP 101 .357 is a bit bulky for everyday carry.
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

By the way, I do every now and then carry a .45 but it is either my Sig P220 or one of my three 1911's.
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have a 4" Redhawk in 44 mag and it isn't easily concealable at 46 oz. There aren't a lot of good options in 45 long colt. There are several revolvers out there in 45acp or now even 44 spl. Mostly Smith and Wessons that would be good options.

If you look at a 357 mag then there are several great options. I have a Ruger SP101 and it is my always with me gun. I carry three different ways OWB, IWB and pocket.
  9. neilin

neilin New Member

I do not think I have ever seen a Smith Mountain Gun. Is it made by Smith and Wesson, or can you direct me to a picture of one somewhere on the Internet? Thanks.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry. I have a habit of just saying Smith, like bikers just say Harley. S&W Mountain Gun. Most S&W N frame revolvers come with heavy barrels, and various lengths. This adds weight to combat recoil and to help hold the gun steady, for accuracy. The Mountain Gun comes with a 4" skinny barrel. This makes it lighter, for carrying. It was designed, originally, for backpacking, therefore - Mountain Gun.

Notice the slender profile of the barrel.
    [​IMG]

Compare that to a standard barrel profile.
    [​IMG]
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The Mountain Gun is, or has been, made in 357, 41 magnum, 44 magnum, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. All 4" stainless.