45 GAP, flash in the pan or...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by NOTPOSTAL, May 21, 2004.

1. NOTPOSTAL

NOTPOSTAL New Member

I've read some good things about this round, is this one thats gonna hang around or just fade away? I've got an itch to buy something new and this is one I'm considering.
  2. robsguns

robsguns New Member

Hey you!!

I dont know about the round in question, but I need your new email addy., email me at robsguns@hotmail.com.

Long time no see. How are you?:)
    Last edited: May 21, 2004
  3. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

What I have read about the .45 GAP is that it surpasses the .45 ACP in all aspects. The GAP is the same as the ACP except it is a little bit shorter and produces a higher pressure. At first it was thought that a 230 grain bullet would not be possible, but that has come to pass. I'm not sure as to why Glock decided on creating a new pistol with a new ammunition, unless it was just to show that it could be done. I have seen a website that discusses it in detail, if I can find it I will post it. Personally, I think it will turn into an Edsel. There may be a few that love it, like 10mm owners, and some that don't see what the fuss is all about.....like me ;)

Here is a link that will give you some info :http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/45gap.html
    Last edited: May 21, 2004
  4. Chief101

Chief101 New Member

I don't think it will last. From what I've seen in the gun rags, it's not going to be easy for handloaders to duplicate the factory loads b/c of the powder.........

'course, i'm a dyed in the wool 45acp fan......

Steve
  5. offeror

offeror New Member

Glock will probably continue to support the round and chamber a full line of its guns for it -- a mini and a micro. The last 20 years have been about closing the gap (no pun intended) between the big bore and the 9mm so that people could have the advantages of a Browning Hi-Power along with the power of the .45 ACP. The 10mm, the .40 S&W, the .357 SIG have all been efforts to put maximum stopping power into a 9mm-sized double-stack semi-auto. Actually, the .40 was a compromise, but it still is in the "close the gap" category.

Now we have the .45 GAP, which narrows the difference even further. Since Hi-Power-sized guns have become the preference for duty guns and CCWs, I expect the .45 GAP to find a niche. It doesn't really do anything the .45 ACP can't in a post-ban magazine world (the Taurus PT145 holds 10+1 in a package no bigger than a Glock 26/27).

But it does allow minimal re-engineering of all your favorite 9mm guns to get big bore performance. Manufacturers are bound to find it fairly easy to produce a .45 GAP version of their current 9mm/.40 guns. Like the .357 SIG though, there may be some trade-off in noise decibels, and maybe even felt recoil.

The one I'm looking forward to hearing more about is something called the .50 GI -- 300 grains of big and slow bore, like a .45 ACP on vitamins. With the new magic .50 caliber getting attention all the way from BMG to .50AE and .500 Magnum, people who like the .44 Special and the .45 ACP might also take to a .50 caliber in a .45 ACP-sized package. .50 Officer's might be an interesting hide-out gun. And how long before the .50 GI rimless would appear with full moon clips in a revolver or two? Do we NEED a .50 semi-auto at 800-1000 fps? Depends on how it performs I guess. I'd sure look at one... And buy one before I'd buy a GAP, too, knowing me.
  6. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I think if it really was a major improvement or offered a significantly shorter case, then it would stay. Since most but the "mouse guns" have magwells long enough to support it there's really no need. Since my favorite topic, the 10mm, was brought up, I thought I'd compare it. See, with it, the round is at the very least equivelent to the .357 mag and using premium loads approaches .41 mag levels in a semi-auto pistol. Of course there's the Desert Eagle, but no one is going to CCW a 5 pound gun. So, there's obviously a huge advantage there. Now, back to the .45 GAP. There appears to be an advantage similiar to the new short mag rifle craze, but unless it allows the guns to be smaller or some other benefit the additional energy/velocity has already been attained in other cartrides already available...
  7. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I don't have it in front of me, but I think the latest issue of American Rifleman has a story about the round and mentions that the Springfield XD pistol is going to be chambered in 45GAP. I think the article reported that the round came up to 45acp specs, in a smaller size, but I don't remember it saying that it surpassed the auto in any way. When other gun makers start using the round it will become more popular. But it may never be the standard that the 45acp is.
  8. NOTPOSTAL

NOTPOSTAL New Member

Well you all certainly gave me something to consider, I love the glocks but the full size 45 didn't seem to fit me very well. I like the idea of 45 performance in a 9mm package but 20 yrs from now I dont want to be scrounging for ammo either.
  9. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

A magazine article I read recently took a custom 1911 with a shortened barrel to be more like the Glock 37 and shot several different loads, .45 GAP in the Glock and .45 ACP in the 1911. After the testing the GAP rounds had a faster fps, tighter groupings, and better expansion that the .45 ACP. Now the differences were not anything that you could eyeball, but they were better no matter how you look at it. I can't find the mag with the article, naturally, it's probably with the USB cable for my digital camera that I can't find either :mad: . But just as soon as I find it I will let y'all know. Hmmm, I wonder if I could scan it and post it? :confused: Anyway, the GAP doesn't get me all excited personally, but I'm sure it will have a cult following like the .41 and 10mm, and I hope you guys know how to reload ;) .
  10. Chief101

Chief101 New Member

Ya know, the .45gap is taking the same know-how thats let the super-short magnums equal or even beat their bigger cased brothers. As I understand it, it's all in the powders, either new tech or mixing current powders to get the most out of the short case.

Now, here's the question. IF you took those super-duper powders that the 45gap uses, and stuck them in the longer 45acp case, wouldnt that help out the grand old 45acp?
    Granted, you would have to upgrade your spings or recoil system, use buffers, and have brass made more on the line of
    45 Super. Maybe even buy a completely new barrel that supported the whole case. But, even at that, it would be cheaper than a new gun.

I understand that one of the big selling points for the GAP is a smaller frame for folks with smaller hands. I bought a glock 36 when they first came out. The grip frame was smaller than the 9mm/40 frames. So why not just make a single stack .45acp instead of all the problems of coming up with a new .45 cal round, not to mention taking a weapon design and re-vamping it for the new round.

I think a big force behind the .45GAP is vanity. Either Gaston Glock or who ever runs glock, inc. these days wants to be right there with all the "old" handgun companies and have its own round with its name stamped on the case.

But then again what do I know, just my 02.

Steve
  11. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Couldn't have said it better myself Chief.
  12. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hey....here's an idea. Why don't we trim back the case on a .357 Magnum. We can call it something like .38 Special!

Then we can trim it back a little more and call it .38 S&W!

Then we can put it in a plastic gun, and call it .38 Glock! :D
  13. Chief101

Chief101 New Member

Xracer, you just became my new best friend!.............:)
  14. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Glock must be engineering it to counter bigger thugs than I run across. I haven't ran into anyone that I don't think a 45 ACP would've stomped a mudhole in. I got the Glock 21 with 13+1 on tap, if'n they're still up after that, they can have my wallet:D
  15. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Uh oh, hope Xracer dosen't see that.... :cool: