.45 LC Lever Action

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by polishshooter, Apr 10, 2011.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

WIth some of my left over bonus money I was thinking what gun I would like to buy.

Indiana now allows "pistol Caliber" rifles for deer, I have ALWAYS wanted to own some sort of lever Action 'Trapper" style carbine, and I have ALWAYS liked the .45 LC cartridge, and just happen to have about 100 assorted LC rounds from a bunch of stuff a friend gave me that I have been hoarding....

How much do you think it would cost me for a good used .45 LC Lever gun, Winchester or Marlin preferred, but Rossi or any other replica OK?
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

You're going to pay more here in Indiana than you will if you pick one up somewhere as you travel. Everybody has to have one now, you know.

I haven't been looking, but I'll keep my eyes out for you from now on. I don't think the shop in Rushville has any used levers right now, but I'm in there 2-3 times a week, so I'll let you know.
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

If possible get the Marlin they are super with a lead bullet. I have one and I love it.
  4. polishshooter

Thanks Josh, I know quite a few shops all over the state but only in Indiana, HHmmmm.

There are only 2 on Brand X, both Rossi knock offs of a WInchester 92, one a "Puma" NIB with a 20" bbl, for $450, and another 16" large loop for $370 to start, no bids. Those look OK, but I have to figure another $65 minimum for shipping and ffl fee, HHmmmm...

Does anybody have any experience with a Rossi?
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I have a Rossi 92 in 44-40. I couldn't be happier with it. It was a little rough out of the box but slicked up easily with some white lithium grease and some elbow grease. I hear the newer ones are better. Chiappa makes one now that's supposed to be really good. I'd avoid the Winchester 94 as it's designed for a rifle cartridge and a lot of them don't perform well with pistol cartridges.
  6. polishshooter

Thanks hawg, I wanted to hear from somebody who had one before I checked them out.

There's a nice Savage 311 Full/Mod I need like a hole in the head but since I've always wanted a SXS I was looking at in a shop near Muncie for $325....but then I thought of the lever gun.....HHHmmmm...
  7. polishshooter

And Josh, there's a shop here in Connersville that stocked up on lever guns when they first allowed them and advertised the heck out of them but they were mostly all in .357 or .44 Mag. I think those is what most of the "Non-Gun Nut" hunterss want. On the other hand it is tougher to find them in the Long Colt, too....
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Here's mine. Pic doesn't do it justice.

[​IMG]

It loves black powder too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. CampingJosh

:D:D:D

I think I'm a non-hunter gun nut! Seriously, I've never been hunting beyond tracking down some nuisance animals. I think I'd probably enjoy it, but I've never bothered to give it a try. Of course, I'm not the most patient person ever, so maybe I wouldn't...

I took Friday afternoon off work to check out the gun shops in Connersville... and Abernathy's was closed! They went to Knob Creek for the weekend. Just my luck.
    Wulff's was OK, but he didn't have anything that particularly caught my eye. I've been in there before (can't remember why).
    I didn't find Roy Knight's place, but I guess I don't even know if it's still there.

Gander Mtn. generally has many, many lever guns in stock, but their pricing is generally high. If you are looking for something and you need it today, that's where to go. Otherwise, just keep searching out that deal!
  10. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Is that a strange law? Are there any other states that only allow handgun caps in rifles? I would get a Puma in .454 Casul.:)Good luck

RC
  11. CampingJosh

I don't know if it's common, but I can understand the justification for it. We were a "shotgun/muzzle loader/archery only" state for a long time. The northern half of Indiana is very, very flat. High-powered cartridges have a great potential to send bullets far beyond what the hunter can see. If you can't be aware of what's beyond your target, you can't shoot safely.

State laws are a funny thing. I've heard that at least one state allows rifle cartridges to be used only if the hunter is a certain height off the ground so that all shots are toward the ground.

My real question is why we allow the state to "own" all the animals... but now we're way off topic. (Of course, if there is ANYONE whose thread I don't mind drifting, it's Polishshooter's. He has turned thread drift into an artform. :D)
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  12. polishshooter

:D:D;)

Yeah, I don't get it either, to tell you the truth. And the funny thing is Indiana allows use of ANY rifle on your OWN land, go figure....

I think it all came about when they started allowing pistols, I for one was complaining about them not allowing rifles when guys were shooting 16" T/C Contenders in 7mm and .308!

The state initially proposed all rifles, but it got shot down, then the Pistol Caliber law came up and the argument about pistols vs rifles played a part, as well as the "Cowboy" shooters lobby:p so I think everybody envisioned the levers only.

Which first got me mad because I had a Polish Mosin Nagant carbine all customized shooting 1 1/2" with factory WInchester SPs, but then I get a kick out of the way they wrote the law, ANY "Straight Walled" cartridge over a minimum length of the .357 mag (to eliminate the .38 Spcl) and UNDER I think 1 1/4" (I'll have to look it up)to eliminate the .45-70....but then they ALLOW the .458 SOCOM which means you can hunt deer with your AR-15 with a round that DUPLICATES the .45-70, go figure....

Funny thing is, that old Ruger .44 Mag semi auto carbine that looked like a fat 10/22 would make a SWEET Indiana Brush Gun now, but it's discontinued!:mad:
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got several Rossi 92s, including one in 45 Colt. Great guns.

Marlin - well, I don't like Marlins. Got a 39 and an 1889, but I much prefer John Browning designs.

Winchester 94s were made for rifle length rounds. Too much slop for a short cartridge. I hear of many folks that like theirs, but I also hear of many that cuss 'em.

Real Wincehster 92s, made prior to WW2, were never made in 45 Colt. Modern Winchester 92s are/were, but they are made by Miroku (which isn't a "bad thing", but it's not "Winchester, of New Haven CT", either). They also have unnecessary safeties.

Chiappa now makes a 92, and like Rossi, calls it a Puma. This might cause confusion. Chiappa, made in Italy, costs over a grand, instead of the 400 or so that a Rossi costs.

Two of my Rossis are 44/40. Much better, in my opinion, cartridge for a lever gun than a 45 Colt, or any straightwall cartridge, for that matter (357, 44 magnum, etc). The only way to afford to shoot 45 Colt is to load it, so the "having to load to afford it" for the 44/40 should not be a problem. Onliest reason to buy a 45 Colt rifle, in my opinion, is either because you have 45 Colt pistols and don't want to mix cartridges, or the gun you want only comes in 45 Colt (mine is a 16" big loop lever, and that was the only caliber it was available in, back then).
  14. polishshooter

Ok, I am NOT a "Cowboy" shooter, but I DID watch "The Rifleman" as a kid and most of the John Wayne flicks...:p

But what ACTUAL advantage does the "large Loop" give you over a standard lever, besides making it easier to work maybe with heavy gloves on?

Or is it just for "looks?"

It actually looks to me that it might actually slow you DOWN working the lever, and it DOES seem to me add some bulk/size to an otherwise sleek little rifle....
  15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Neither Chiappa or Rossi calls theirs Puma. Puma is the name that Legacy Sports puts on theirs. Rossi had the contract, now Chiappa has it.
  16. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Sorry, not for deer hunting. If a Wildlife officer has reasonable suspicion, they can go on private land to check hunters. The law regarding firearms includes anyone taking wildlife, public or private land notwithstanding.
    This goes to the law that wildlife are the property of the people of the state.
  17. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Legacy might own the name Puma now, but Rossi was calling their 92 a Puma before Legacy existed.

The large loop just looks cool. If you feel a great desire to spin-cock it, then you need the big loop. Just be aware that, while learning, you will hurt yourself. I just have a front-sight scar on my right bicep. I know people with scars on their forehead. :0

If you do decide you need to know how to spin-cock, get the shortest barrel you can. They cut Duke Wayne's down to 16 inches, and he was 6'4", with correspondingly long arms. Chuck Conners, at 6'6", could spin a regular 20" barrel, but I've never seen anyone else that could.

Also, unless the gun is modified, it won't load. During spin-cocking, when the cartridge is out of the tube and on the lifter, the rifle is upside down. Cartridge falls out. I asked Steve, when he was doing my action work, to add the little dingus that would allow this to work, and he flat-out refused.

The large loop makes it much slower to work the action. As I said, it looks cool, but it's basically useless.
  18. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

take a long look at the rossi .454 Casul! the bonus is that you can shoot 45lc in it also!!
  19. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Man this thread has been hijacked more than a rich luxury yacht on the Somali coast.:D
  20. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Got that right Brisk, but that's ok isn't it? PS, you shouldn't have to pay anymore than $400-$500.