.45 lc primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by lowbrow88, Jul 7, 2012.

1. lowbrow88

lowbrow88 New Member

I normally use No. 300 large pistol primers but accidentally bought No. 350 large pistol magnum primers. I've heard magnum primers create more pressure but can i use these? Theres no data in my reloading book for magnum primers... i use power pistol powder and hornady xtp 250gr bullets but am open for suggestions

Thanks
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

Back your powder charge off by about .2-.3 or up to half a grain and use them.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Theyll be fine. I use magnums in everything. I get lower spreads and better velocity. And the pressure increase is marginal. No worries with a low pressure loading like the .45 colt.
  4. lowbrow88

lowbrow88 New Member

Thanks guys
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I accidently loaded some magnum primers in my Springfield XD45. After talking with JLA (Superman) he informed me they were about 6% hotter and they would be fine. I went ahead and shot them and it was nice. Then I remembered something my old pops told me once. He said that he preferred using magnum primers because they held better accuracy. It turns out that both JLA and my old pop were right.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use mag primers because I reload for so many different things it just makes more sense for me to keep 4 types in stock instead of 8. They do have thier benefits though. Especially with ball propellants.