1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

45 long reloads, Help.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smokey salsa, Dec 5, 2008.

1. smokey salsa

smokey salsa New Member

Im starting to reload, never done it before, my dad has only done rifle reloading. I have a 45 black hawk. this is what i have, Hodgedon Titegroup powder, hornady 300gr jhp bullets, and i have Winchester brass. my question is i cant find how much grain of powder to use, i went to hodgen's web site but i cant find anything on what exactly what i have . also is the Winchester brass the same as Winchester mag. like I said Im new with this reloading stuff and any help would be great.
  2. smokey salsa

smokey salsa New Member

Any Body, Any Body,, Buler ?
  3. smokey salsa

smokey salsa New Member

no one has any info!!!
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

You really should study a manual if you have not done so. You'll find the info you need.
    Most of the guys here will give you the same advice.

There is no such thing as a .45 long, just as there is no .45 short.
    You'll find the data you're looking for listed under .45 Colt in the link above. :)

Blue Dot has also given me good results in .45 Colt in my Blackhawk.

Art
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup...a little more homework is in order before you start stuffing your shells.

According to the latest Hornady manual, they are using Lil Gun, AA#9, VV N-110, 2400, WIN296, H4227, & IMR4227 with the 300gr XTP/HP.
    I think Titegroup might be a little too fast of a powder for 300gr out of the .45 Colt. Titegroup will work better for lighter weight cast bullet loads...good for light-recoil practicing before you beat yourself up with those 300 grainers!

Hodgon's website does have loads listed for 300gr and Titegroup, but you'll see the velocity is kinda low compared to some other slower powders.

I've used H4227 in the past in 250gr & 300gr hunting loads for a .45Colt Bisley Blackhawk. AA#9 would be another good choice for heavy-bullet loads out of the .45Colt
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I find Unique powder works well in .45 Colt also. 7.0 grains is a good load to start with.

I have no problem with someone calling the .45 Colt by the name .45 Long Colt, since this is the common name for this round.
  7. pls1911

pls1911 New Member

I'm a bit tardy posting to this question, as I just joined the page.
    All the advice above is good, especially that you should consult several loading manuals for source data.

In my experience, after too many years with too many calibers, and too many variables, I've matured to the point where simplicity makes sense.
    Keep it simple you'll enjoy it more.
    Although I'm working off other powders, I now focus on four powders: Unique, 2400, RL7 and 4064. These are used for all loads in .38/357, .44, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 30/30, .308, .30/06. .270, and 45-70. For shot guns I keep some red dot on hand. Unless you're bench resting, you'll find a workable load with these powders.

Your question regarding 45 Colt loads:
    I'd recommend 8 to 9 graines of today's Unique powder, Large pistol primer of choice, and any bullet, cast or jacketed, around 250 graines. Velocities will range between 800 and 900 fps depending on combination.

These rounds will be mild enough for target work, and good medicine for deer or ornery old hogs as far as normal folks should be shooting with a pistol (30-40 yards).

Be careful, and have fun.
    Pablo
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

While this post is correct it is also a prime example why you should get a reloading manual. The slower burning powders like Win 296, VV N 110 and H 110 all need magnum primers to be consistent and do not perform well unless you use a lot of it and a manual will most likely tell you that. The only thing I use IMR 4227 is in my 30 Herrett so I cannot comment for 45 Colt and as for Titegroup I know nothing. 2400 is really in my opinion the best choice of all because you can load medium plus loads and it unlike the three others you don't have to load max or near max loads. Your Ruger will take loads all day long that will blow a Colt or Colt clone to flying pieces so do not share your ammo with a friend who has a Colt, especially if you opt for any of the three slow burners I mentioned. I have been hot rodding the 45 Colt for years and I cast a 335 grain LBT bullet I drive over 1300 fps out of a 5.5" Grover Number 5 using 21 grains of VV N-110. I would not suggest that load even for your Ruger. I think about 17 grains of 2400 behind your 300 grain bullet is all you are going to want to shoot out of your gun which I would guess should drive your 300 grain bullet about 1100 fps.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  9. army mp

army mp Member

Some things you can do on the cheap. But a Good Reloading Manual will pay for its self Many times over, $30.00 for a book or $600.00 for a New Gun
  10. clb1793

clb1793 New Member

Consult a good manual, (Hornady Sierra, Speer, etc) You will see that they list Thompson Contender and Ruger separately from the regular Colt 45. Reason being; those two will stand a much heavier load. I have a Smith & Wesson Colt 45 that I load much milder than my Thompson Contender 10". I do a lot of reloading and silhouette shooting which involves .44 Mag loads using 300 grain Sierra bullets and a real heavy powder charge. I use the S & W for target loads with a mild charge (Hornady manual) Don't even THINK of reloading without a manual. As far as brass.....Winchester is crap. You will see why after roll crimping 3 or 4 times. Use Federal; much stronger although not as strong as a good 44 mag case. Good luck! Larry
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Amen, clb1793, and allow me to welcome both you and smokey to TFF.